I think the only chance you have is upside down, Rod. If works better than you'd think. Early cars *are* tighter as I recall, so it'll be tight if it does go.

+1 for upside down in TR2 (but partially deflated)

PO had put in hub up and it was a right b.....to get in or out

Easy to get in upside down but the hub of the wheel rests on the floor of the wheel well so some rubber packing pieces under the tyre to lift it clear

Phil

Hi Ruby 131 ~

The boot floor is not covered with any material. The felt underlay under the petrol tank has been removed

because this could become damp and affect the tank. It was replaced with a section of plastic covered

fire hose which is damp proof.

Tom.

My spare is a 165 x 15 on 4.5 60 spoke rims. It is a tight fit but has a handy rope strop looped through the rim so that you can play tug-of-war with it! :D

attachicon.gifWP_20170526_08_57_32_Raw1574.jpg

Another member on here suggested to me that "easing" the tyre compartment by putting a scissor jack and a plank of wood below and on top of the jack and stretching the space helps on the basis that the boot floor will have sagged over the years..................

Part of our pre RBRR event prep was checking that I could get the spare in and out of the compartment. (Sad, I know, but I'm anal about things!! :lol: ) The tyre was inflated to the correct pressure and I could manage it without too much difficulty (and I'm a bird! :blink: ) The rope trick was one of the PO's and really helps. The car has probably had it's saggy bottom stretched too!! :o I'm wondering if the jack and plank trick would work on mine? :wacko::ph34r:

Removing the boot floor on a TR3 is a fantastic idea with concern to space... But I wonder in how far it does affect the structural strength of the rear body.. ;)

An Insurance rejecting the use of a legal thinner/smaller tyre, displaying the same diameter, must have much stronger objections

about modifying the structure of the car... :(

Removing the boot floor on a TR3 is a fantastic idea with concern to space... But I wonder in how far it does affect the structural strength of the rear body.. ;)

An Insurance rejecting the use of a legal thinner/smaller tyre, displaying the same diameter, must have much stronger objections

about modifying the structure of the car... :(

Jean,

A skinny tyre is an obvious and illegal modification, in the UK you could even be taken to court for it. Only the vehicle manufacturer can decide what is an acceptable smaller tyre "space saver" (because they are then liable in the event of a catostrophic failure) and Triumph obviously can't.

The modification of the boot floor if done correctly with a fillet in the corners and a small box section around the edge (which is what I'd do, would even improve the floor structure rather than relying on the boot sheet material thickness to give it structural integrity) would become stronger. Carried out correctly there would be no objections from insurance companies.

Makes a decent argument though for considering what effect fitting replacement Bastuck panels which are made of 20 gauge instead of TR standard 18 gauge would have on the structure of the car, now that's a question for insurers especially in the event of occupant injuries and harm.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

What about just using an inflation kit?

For the amount of punctures in modern day tyres this would be my choice

My bmw doesnt carry a spare and has an aerosol and electric pump stowed away in the corner of the boot somwhere.

Free s up space and if you do damage the tyre beyond repair call the breakdown services

As a matter of interest how many punctures do tr3s get with the usual low milages?

Then you are at least legal which really must be the main point rather than conveniance

The squirty gunge doesn't work with tubed tyres Tony. Even in your BM it would only deal with a straight forward small hole, not with a gash ( I thought BMs came with run-flats these days?)

For the TR you would have to carry a spare inner tube (or old fashined puncture repair kit) and tyre levers.

Instead of pursuing the idea of a 4x15" wheel and 155x15 tyre, I thought I'd follow up some experiences of members who have replied to this post.

1. looked at the boot floor and it had indeed bellied by perhaps 1/2" or more so I placed a wood block above and below a scissor jack in the tyre well and gently raised the boot floor to level. Took a few goes in different positions, as it initially went back down on unwinding the jack. Eventually it adjusted to it's original level.

2. Released air from my existing spare i.e. 4.5x 15 & 165x15 tyre (almost to flat).

Result - can squeeze spare into tyre well - just - and get it out again with aid of leather strap. Spare needs to be 'upside down' in tyre well to achieve this.

Just need to buy a good compressor now, but a lot cheaper than buying a smaller wheel and tyre and no illegality issues!

Rob