Wire Wheel Refurbishment?

My wire wheels look like they need a refurb/repaint.

I have looked at MWS website to see prices of new wheels, but is it worth getting the existing ones sand blasted and re-painted? What would be a reasonable cost compared to new wheels (about £148 each inc VAT for 15" 60 spoke)?

Kevin

I'd be interested in hearing peoples thought on this too. I currently have Chrome wheels but the surface rust is starting to set in on the middles (spokes are stainless).

I'm stuck between replacing with more chromes, brand new painted (for originality) or blasting/painting the chrome wheels.

Is there any issue with painting the wheels built up? I would imagine adjusting the spokes will crack the new paint.

My concern would be spline wear. Wheels can (most of the time) be straightened and trued. Hub wear seems more terminal to me.

I run new (when the car came back on the road) painted MWS Indian-made 60-spoke, 4½-inch wheels with 165/80-15 tyres on all four corners, a refinished old one in the boot. That spare is a 48-spoke, 4-inch wheel with 155/80-15 tyre so it fits in the well easier.

The wheel refinished just fine with sandblasting and rattle can. It doesn't work for a living, though, so five years in back doesn't say much about its durability. No "before" photo, but here's "after" next to the new road wheel.

i-DQG7pLk-X3.jpg

Try Tudor Wheels in the New Forest - http://www.tudorwheels.co.uk/

They will test your wheels for wear, run out and damaged spokes, then blast clean and refinish in your choice of finish for about £60 wheel plus, I think it was £3 spoke replaced - if you need more than 6 spokes replacing, it's not really economic, but they will discuss with you.

I took a bootfull ( not a TR boot!!) of wheels down to them, sorted out the 5 best and had them done in chrome finish paint, which looks almost like the real thing but without the rust issues associated with real chrome - I understand they do a lot of rusty chrome wheels!

No other association with them other than as a satisfied customer

Cheers

Rich

I have been quoted £77 +VAT per wheel by a company in Gillingham. Interested to see how that compares with Tudor Wheels.

Hello Kevin,

This guy blasted and primed 4 x 60 spoke wires for me at £15 each and did a good job - they were very grotty!

His name is Eddie Smith - ex 42 Commando RM - and his place is Bulldog Blasting 01273 814144 based at the Broyle, Ringmer, (north of Lewes. I think he'll paint or powder coat as well but not sure. See - bulldogblasting@hotmail.com

I would not have powder coating again as it is quite fragile.

Good hunting - Keep TRucking,

Willie Felger

Its a horrible work to refurbish a wire wheel.

If done perfect all must be separated and cleaned.

Mostly the spokes and nipples are rusted together

and with great care and heat they must be separated.

When they are tubeless its dirty to get rid of the rubber inside.

If you blast the wheels as they are and repaint they look nice

but it will be a pain to true them in later should that be necessary.

Also the sand is pressed in everywhere.

I would look for special offers on new wheels and buy tubeless.

TR Shop London had them if I remember that correct.

Mine came from Rimmer or MOSS and had been much cheaper

than directly offered from MWS.

Right now I got a Morgan set what in practice was a 6x15 centre laced TR6 wheel.

Paid not much more than 300 Euro for a quite new set from a guy who wanted to

swap from painted to chromed.

Edited by TriumphV8

Hi Willie

Ringer is only 15 minutes from me, so maybe I'll pop down and see him.

Thanks

Kevin

Bulldog do all my blasting and painting and he is a very careful man. I take any part to him,i.e suspension parts, engine covers, and some small parts.

He is only 5 minutes down the road from where I live.

Good luck Richard & H.