FWIW Before fitting them check the clearance between the rack and the drive cog as sometimes this is too great and the ears of the back plate will need bending in a small amount to get them to engage better.When you have them in your hand you will see what I mean.

Stuart.

You may find there are Lucas repros for these, in Green Boxes.

My experience of this brand is only on switches. But this are a really good repro on original tooling probably. Marked as Made in France!. Might be true I suppose. If there are eBay will show them.

There are quite likely NOS of these on eBay also.

On mine the gears were fine. The problem was all in the spindles. Of course I just made new bearing sleeve.

But Stuart may well be right. I also knocked back the tube clamps to mesh the wire-rack properly.

Lots of wear in wire-racks also and lots of good NOS about for these.

Be some wear in the big-end of the motor-crank also. Ask if you need help with this.

+1 Stuart you are spot on as usual. I wish I had been aware of this issue five years or so ago when I fitted a pair of repro wheel boxes. I am sorry to hear the problem is still with us. I bought the items from the TR Shop stand at Stoneleigh, the price was very reasonable and they looked excellent copies of the Lucas original I took as a sample. I fitted the new wheel boxes and a few days later drove to Scotland for an event. the heavens opened near Manchester (no surprise there!) and when I put the wipers on they failed immediately, the driver's side getting stuck past the A post. Fortunately with the aid of RainX I managed to complete the weekend without wipers. When I stripped them out back home I found that under high torque the rack had come out of mesh with the pinions due to the back plates being slightly mis-shapen and not holding the rack in sufficiently intimate contact with the pinions. All that was necessary was to reshape them to hold the rack closer to the pinion without binding, a quick and simple job. I guess the parts came from China, dimensional control in the manufacturing process is not adequate but having said that I have had no further problems.

I was not a happy bunny to have to do this job twice. At 6' 3" I am not built for wheel box removal on a TR4A as anyone who has done the job will appreciate.

Tim

I made the mistake of fitting the c**p repros too and had incessant problems with my wipers.

Rather than go thru the hell of putting in a pair of NOS ones, which were c**p, I now have drilled and tapped the wiper arms for small grub screws and fitted them.

No problems since although I suspect I am piling up future problems if anything gets jammed..... Snowy

One thing is worth looking out for, as I discovered at the cost of a lost wiper arm and blade. I had fitted replacement boxes to my 4A about 4 years ago and they worked correctly when run dry on test. However, the first time I used them in rain, the nearside wiper flew off after about five minutes, to be lost forever. Investigation showed the the rubber seal around the shaft had worked a little way out, and this had disengaged the wiper arm retention clip. Removing the protruding rubber with a very sharp knife cured the problem, and the wipers have been fine ever since.

I fitted repro. wheelboxes and found that the splined boss was just a tad to small for a tight fit with the wiper arms, original ones and the current ones available. The only way to overcome the wiper arms coming off the splined boss was to fit a pair of "heavy duty" arms which have a screwed wedge clamp to hold them on to the splined boss.

Graham