I've just been informed via social media of a Stolen TR5 taken from Buxton, Derbyshire over the night of the 12th/13th of May.

It's Red, with Chrome Wire wheels and Surrey top, Registration VYM 250G

If anyone knows anything please contact Derbyshire Police.

Link below to more information:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiHqs7uoPfTAhUHDsAKHU4EAdYQFgg_MAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk%2Fnews%2Frare-1968-triumph-tr5-stolen-during-buxton-burglary-1-8547703&usg=AFQjCNFEr2KZFpZe8rtp4da9d-L_cpw-wg

Edited by Gary Flinn

Trouble is, Facebook is full of as full of inscriptions laying curses on thieves, as any Pharoah's pyramid, about motorhomes, cars and motorbikes, and thats just today. Does it do any good? No one knows. Didn't do the Pharaohs any good.

John

Hi John,

I don;t use FB but SWMBO does.

Early this year Sue found a FB post that gave me a correct diagnosis for my suspected heart attack.

Of course it wasn't a HA but the medics didn't know what it was.

Within the last two years a stolen TR5 in Fulham was also found.

Roger

The more people that get to hear about it must be a good thing?

I always worry about mine getting nicked when leaving it parked up at car shows, etc :(

Maybe I need to fit a tracker or some other form of security, can anyone recommend anything?

I do hope the guy gets it back but I fear it may be parts now. Stolen to order?

Shame it appeared to never had a tracker fitted as they are so cheap these days. At least you'd stand a chance of locating it. Mine sends a text if it's disturbed or a loss of main buss power (battery disconnected). Sudden voltage drop (ignition going on) etc etc. And of course it's location.

Dave

Hi Gary,

do you immobilise you car when at shows. I use a Halfords stoplock that appears to be useful. There are other clever gadgets.

TRackers are a good idea. So much so that thieves are attaching them to cars, at shows, they want to steal and find out where they live.

They then take them from the garage.

Roger

If anyone has any information please do not call the TR Register or post on the forum.

The correct ref no. and contacts for the police force dealing with the investigation are here: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/article/2017/05/0103/TR5-stolen-from-garage-in-Buxton

Hi Gary,

do you immobilise you car when at shows. I use a Halfords stoplock that appears to be useful. There are other clever gadgets.

TRackers are a good idea. So much so that thieves are attaching them to cars, at shows, they want to steal and find out where they live.

They then take them from the garage.

Roger

Roger

I normally lock the car and isolate the supply to the Fuel Pump

I have left the car (when at Car shows with my local TSSC group) with the Top down and Fuel pump supply isolated but I presume I'm not covered with my insurance with the top down?

Its just a pain to keep raising & lowering the hood if its a nice day, going to look into the tracker option I think and possibly a steering wheel krooklock or other device.

Hi Gary,

This is sad news. Over in the Members Chat forum I posted the following, as I was involved in the hunt for the 6 that was stolen last year:

"It's a pity that this news is only coming out now, because I think the key to having any chance of a recovery is to spread the news on social media as far and as quickly as possible. Some might remember that this time last year a member of my local group had his 6 stolen. He got to work straight away spreading news of the theft, and he contacted the group. We helped with getting the message out on social media and suggested that he not only spread it among car enthusiasts, but also got the news onto local community sites. He did that and soon after he was contacted by someone who noticed a car concealed under some dirty sheeting near where she lived, and thought it might be the stolen one. It was and our member recovered it. There is, in some cases, a small window of opportunity, I reckon, in which by being active with media can result in a successful outcome. It's one of the reasons that I've recently started a WhatsApp broadcast group and invited our group members to it. If one of our cars went missing, we would use the service to get people out looking as soon as possible."

As for steering locks and tracker, I use Disklok ... http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/shop/disklok/?gclid=CjwKEAjwjPXIBRDhwICRg-DbgHISJADP6QXpKbk3WPo8BNLkUnvfuffHjuV6f_u8TGf7SkAH8U5KnxoCNlbw_wcB and Trackimo https://trackimo.com/

Very pleased with both. However, I think the best security you can get at car shows is to park with other group members and always watch out for each others cars.

Cheers, Darren

Edited by TR5tar

I think the most cars are stolen by trailers. Some people with reflecting jackets a 4x4 or van or car-transporter, some signing of a garage on it,they hook them up the trailer, and the man in the street thinks it is okay because that "old" car is not working ...........

That's the way they do it in Holland and not only by oldtimers also new Audi - BMW ect. So look also out for cars on trailers with or without cover.

Marcel.

Edited by Quicksilver

Roger

I normally lock the car and isolate the supply to the Fuel Pump

I have left the car (when at Car shows with my local TSSC group) with the Top down and Fuel pump supply isolated but I presume I'm not covered with my insurance with the top down?

Its just a pain to keep raising & lowering the hood if its a nice day, going to look into the tracker option I think and possibly a steering wheel krooklock or other device.

I think you may be covered as some insurances stipulate that a "powered" hood must be up if the vehicle is left unattended. Our cars do not benefit security wise hood up or down. Leaving valuables in an open car is another matter of course.

My thought is that any tea leaf worth his salt will not be nicking the car by starting it and driving it away so electrickery, missing rotor arms etc no good. A big Krooklock thing is a deterrent but once the car is whisked away, that can be removed with an angle grinder.

I preferred the GPS tracker with a geo fencing option. Move the car outside of a 100m radius and the alarm would go off and send an SMS immediately. Discreetly fitted, this would fool anyone lifting it onto a trailer.

In this day and age I think owners have to use every trick available to protect their car, but sadly the determined professional thief will most likely find a way around anything we put in the way. All we can really do is place so many obstacles in the way that the light fingered decide it's just too much hassle and move on.

The Disklok is very versatile and easily swapped between cars as long as the steering wheel is the same dia, it also has an unrivalled record of award success as the most efficient steering lock device marketed.

Some of it's awards

The Disklok quickly cemented its position as the UK’s best vehicle steering wheel security device since its launch in 1993. Accolades spanned a 10 year period withstanding a whole manner of product tests and acquiring the best reviews.

1995 Auto Express

1996 Auto Express

1996 Auto Express

1996 Revs Magazine

1996 What Car?

1998 Revs Magazine

1998 Which? Magazine

1999 Fast Car

2000 Golf Magazine

2000 What Car?

2001 Auto Express

2001 Revs Magazine

2002 Auto Express

2002 Revs Magazine

2003 What Car?

2003 Auto Express

2004 Auto Express

2005 What Car

Since 2005 it seems most testing organisations have given up, how many times can you say " this is the best" without it getting repetitive. It scores highly on the Thatchem review I think obtaining max points and only when subject to angle grinder and " come off you b?????td" levering forces is overcome, I guess we can forgive it that.

If anybody else knows of something better post it up.

Mick Richards