Brakes again- is this a good design?

I bought a load of parts from James Paddock to overhaul the rear brakes. One of the parts was the brake shoe hold down pin and retaining spring. This is the first time I have come across this design ( I guess the old hands on here are more than familiar with it), but it seems to me that, while the spring holds the head of the pin under tension, what is there to prevent the pin or the spring revolving within the drum, allowing the pin to drop through the slot in the spring?

I've attached a picture in case it helps. The pin on the left is the new one. The one on the right was on the original brake shoe; it is clearly a 'wrong 'un' because the hole in the brake shoe had been enlarged to allow the bulbous head to pass through, but at least once the head was engaged in the spring it could not pop out.

Any thoughts from the wise old heads?

Terrypost-14335-0-92609500-1495013733_thumb.jpg

My tr6 has those and they work well. The clip part sits in a groove and the sprung plate would need to compress to let them drop out. They do not rotate once fitted.

I think that "correctly" the clips are fitted in the direction of forward rotation, so one is pointing up and one down.

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

They are tight enough to not rotate. The shape of the spring clip keeps the pin firmly at the bottom, it would have to ride up the sides and compress the clip more in order to fall apart.

They are just fine used on countess cars of that era.

Dave

Check like for like if buying pin & spring clip . Purchased some from one of our well known suppliers , pins longer tension of clip less ( possibly weaker as well ) . One came apart completely ,second one starting to turn . Put old ones back . Poor response from supplier when mentioned at International . Chris