Last minute pickup help needed by tomorrow

Ok

So I have a long drive with a car trailer to get my TR6 tomorrow but would like a bit of urgent advice.

1. Getting onto car trailer. Does the TR6 have a front towing eye? Is it easy accessible and if no towing eye, advice on winching?? Note, car trailer is a tilting trailer.

2. Securing to trailer. I have 4 x new winch straps rated to 2.5k each. Plan was crossover on front and rear axles. Sound good?

Thanks for help

Rich in Denmark

Hi Rich,

Before you start loading, check the tyre pressures are correct on all wheels on the trailer. Just one flabby tyre will make it tow like a pig and is dangerous.

1. It is 20 years since I have been intimate with TR6 anatomy, and I don't remember ours having a towing eye, but yours may have had one fitted (depending on what it has done in life). If not, winch from something solid, chassis front cross member or from the front axle? Golden rule with winching is never to winch from any part higher than the axle. You may(?) need to remove the front spoiler number plate if these are going to be fouled by the winch, so make sure you have your tools!!

Position the car as centrally as you can over the trailer axles. Too far forwards or backwards will make the trailer unstable when you tow.

2. My preference for securing is to strap to the trailer at each wheel independently (good that you have 4 straps). If you don't have wheel chokers, normal webbing straps will be just fine. Put the front ones round the front axle, one on each side, and secure to a point forwards of the car on each side. Put the rear ones round the rear axle, one on each side, and secure to a point rearwards of the car on each side. Tension equally, and stow the loose end of the straps securely. Secured this way, the car can't move forwards, backwards or sideways!!

If there is any possibility of your straps rubbing, say on the edge of the trailer, then protect your straps with sleeves, or fold some card board and place under the strap before tightening.

After travelling a short distance with the car on the trailer, pull over and check straps for correct tension. Tighten if necessary.

The golden rule when securing a vehicle for transport is to always secure from the axle down. If you secure above the vehicles suspension, when you go over a bump, the suspension will bounce, your straps will become loose for a moment, and your load will start to shift. It is this reason that you should never strap a vehicle by just going over the body.......but how may times do you see it!!!

Safe travelling!

Vicky. x

edit to add: don't forget to put the hand brake on and leave the car in gear! :)

Edited by Ben's wife

Rich when I've had to pull one up on a trailer I put a canvas soft strap around the front cross member then attach the wire cable to that ,if the chassis is good I put a ratchet strap through the middle of the car then front to back ,either through the wires if knackered or the spinners if not a wire wheel car just loop the strap around the wheel.

Good luck with it.

Nick

As you have asked if there is a towing point I assume that it is a non runner,otherwise drive it on and secure as above. My 1974 car has tie down eyes both sides, I believe as made, but I don't think I would trust them on an unknown car as they aren't actually for pulling more for securing.

In a previous life i was AA / RAC recovery driver... blimy that a while a go now... any way....

don"t drag your beloved TR up a trailer from a towing eye... if it has one…if that breaks.. well you know the rest.. the correct and safest way is to use a webbing strap and tie this to each side of the suspension arms. Then attached your winch to the centre of this…. Its called centre pull…. This way you are pulling from the centre of the car and not forcing any stress on one side… I guess you don’t know how good the chassis is..?

Normally you would also apply a little hand break to stop it rolling back if anything goes wrong… I would in this case puts chocks on the back wheels as it travels up the ramp… do it in stages.. pull chock ,pull chock ect.

Once its on the trailer and before you level it up from tilt, put the hand brake on or chock the front wheels to stop the car rolling forward once the trailer is level… been there, done that.

Strapping down….. DO NOT STRAP THE BODY…… while your driving along it will bounce around and the straps will become loose and all of a sudden your trailer will become empty….!

Ideally you should try and strap each wheel to the trailer individually, doing this will pull each corner against itself thus a secure load. If you strap across axles the car can slide side to side.

Take it easy…. Gentle pull offs and gentle braking….. once you have driven a few miles..STOP and check each strap, I bet at least once will of come a little loose…

good luck

Rich asking such basic questions as these you should be very weirey towing a trailer with a car on the back,you will get so many out of the ordinary situations on a long run that need split decisions ie braking distances,handling,width judgment,speed control (slow on long drags,runaway downhill,)just to mention a few, and no forum to consult,so just be very careful,find the hitch weight for the trailer and and use a scale pole to get the recommended trailer nose weight, weighted up correctly will give you a fighting chance in most situations, good luck Rich.

Hi guys

TR6 back safe in Denmark from a 500k pickup from Bremerhavn.

All went well and the tips on lashing wheels (all four) and especially the one on having a brake on when levelling were most useful. I have towed many times before in my Army days but never loaded and drive a TR6 and car trailer, so the tips were great.

The car is a runner but does need work, most important thing is NO RUST and engine turns. Overall it looks good but few little things.

a . . bit hard to get in gear . . maybe I need to learn to drive a 70s car again!

b. ... cant get blower on windscreen to work. Possible user error!

c. . . windscreen wipers seem to have a mind of their own.

Looking forward to a long love affair

Rich

Hi Rick, congratulation as a new owner of a TR6 and enjoy few mechanics and more important motoring

All other contributors, thanks' for the various recommendations, trips....

Best regards

Hi guys

TR6 back safe in Denmark from a 500k pickup from Bremerhavn.

All went well and the tips on lashing wheels (all four) and especially the one on having a brake on when levelling were most useful. I have towed many times before in my Army days but never loaded and drive a TR6 and car trailer, so the tips were great.

The car is a runner but does need work, most important thing is NO RUST and engine turns. Overall it looks good but few little things.

a . . bit hard to get in gear . . maybe I need to learn to drive a 70s car again!

b. ... cant get blower on windscreen to work. Possible user error!

c. . . windscreen wipers seem to have a mind of their own.

Looking forward to a long love affair

Rich

That's what they do.