Steering Column Bushes

Hi

You may remember that the steering bushes that go on the column inside the housing at the dash got chewed up on my TR4A.

I have replaced them successfully with the uprated ones sold by Rimmers.

Now the steering feels notchy. A little stiff.

Should I expect this and should they 'bed-in' over time?

In other words, should I stick with it or do I need to do something about it?

The TR got an MOT no problem and it was not seen as an 'issue'.

Many thanks.

Paul.

Edited by TR4A1965

Did you remove the flexible couplings from their shafts?

Have you got the flex couplings. top and bottom refitted in alignment - are they perhaps a spline out?

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Peter.

The flexible couplings were not touched at all.

They also worked well with no obstructions.

The issue was in the column itself at the dash end.

You could hold the steering wheel and move it up and down.

With the new bushes, this has all stopped.

However, they feel like they are gripping the shaft too tight hence my comment on 'Bedding in'.

Thanks for the thinking.

Paul

Hi Paul I likewise replaced my bushes with the upgraded ones and they certainly reduced the play but the steering wheel now squeaks or freaks with use. I'm not sure if it's the new bushes or the couplings. As the new bushes are unlubricated I suspect they are the cause. Another little annoyance.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I fitted the Revington up rated bushes last year and the top one was as stiff as a very stiff thing. It was very uncomfortable to use.

Waiting for it to wear down was not logical - they are meant to last a long time.

So I got a decent expanding reamer and carefully removed the faintest skim. This was more to ensure roundness than increase the ID.

It is now all fine.

Roger

Hi Paul I likewise replaced my bushes with the upgraded ones and they certainly reduced the play but the steering wheel now squeaks or freaks with use. I'm not sure if it's the new bushes or the couplings. As the new bushes are unlubricated I suspect they are the cause. Another little annoyance.

Paul

Hi Paul,

mine started squeaking last month. Remove the steering wheel and spray some light oil/WD40 down there.

Mine is OK now. We'll see how long it lasts.

Roger

I had to polish the steering column shaft to overcome the problem of uprated bushes gripping the shaft.

Edited by peejay4A

Which did you use - light oil or WD40 ? :D

Bob.

Hi Bob,

nice one. I decided that WD40 may work better.

I didn't need a proper lubricant just something that would get in the squeaks eyes and make it go away.

There is only one good thing about WD40 is that it will evaporate away fairly quickly.

Roger

I fitted Revington's uprated bushes in 2001 - I seem to remember polishing the shaft, but I have never lubricated the bushes and have never heard a squeak out of it!

Ian Cornish

Mine only squeaks when I wear my hearing aids so quite an easy fix.

I will try the WD Roger.

Paul

The only time WD40 provides any lasting lubrication is when it mixes with any oil or dried up grease which is present.

GT85 or 3 in 1 in a spray can is a better bet.

I use wd40 mainly for cleaning small parts and bike bits.

Chris

Thanks for the advice.

Stuart told me to polish it first which I did - I have a bench grinder just for that purpose.

It was polished to nearly a mirror finish and super smooth.

My guess is that it is just a really tight fit.

Lubrication is something I have not tried. I try some 3in1.

My one does not squeak and it is better than when first fitted but I prefer a smoother turn than this point and shoot affair at present.

Every new part is a new can of worms:-))

Best

Paul.

Hi Paul,

if the lubrication doesn't do the job then you can use my expanding reamer if you want.

As I mentioned it is simply taking off a few high spots.

Prior to doing that I was going to removed the so called upgrade and fit rubbish normal ones that fit.

Roger

Hi Stef, it was the steering column itself I got from Walter. It worked a treat on the old bushes so assuming straight.

Thanks Roger for the reamer.

I'll try the lube first before I decide if it needs a reaming (only on a forum such as this could that possible be OK:-)

(I actually do have a reamer set, I'll see if I have the right size first but cheers Roger it may come to it).

The only downside to all of this is stripping down the steering column again?!?!?!??!?! and, I actually hate that job - such a faff - seats out, runners out, being upside down for a while with the blood rushing to your head, resetting all of the brackets at the dash and all the other things you need hands half the size of the ones God gave you!?!?!?

Best

Paul.

Edited by TR4A1965

Good tip there Marco - Many thanks. Paul.

Roger - you legend!

Reaming was indeed the answer.

I took a little more off than the faintest skim and it has worked a treat.

The steering is how I remember a TR4A should be.

Can't wait to chuck it in to some corners knowing that I will actually be able to go around the corners as opposed to a series of straight lines:-)

Many thanks all and I owe you beer for that one Roger.

Best wishes.

Paul.

I used the more elastisch normal bushes because my steering spindle is not 100% straight and found no sence in the stiff uprated ones for my TR.

Edited by Z320

Have just taken the TR4A out for a good test drive and the steering is great!

I had also sorted my original AMCO centre console with speaker so enjoyed some coo tunes too:-)

If anyone is on the London to Brighton on the Sunday 4th June see you there.

Best

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

May be something the check. I also bought from Rimmers new steering column bushes last year but there was a manufacturing fault that prevented the inner white (PTFE)? split bearing or bush from fitting correctly in its housing. The rubber mounted steel housing has small recesses at each end to locate a small dog on the bush. The problem was that the recess was not in the correct location at one end of the housing. Very easy to resolve by creating a recess in the correct location to suit the inner plastic bush. They fitted a treat with the steering wheel spindle running very freely but with no play. I did inform Rimmers of the defect but have no idea if it was resolved. Both bushes had the identical defect so I suspect it was a manufacturing set up fault and all of that batch will likely have the same fault. Hope this helps!

Mark