OIL LEAK- OVERDRIVE SOLENOID BRACKET

Hi Guys,

It never ends! I seem to have an oil leak coming from the overdrive Solenoid bracket which forms into a drip. The overdrive is a new exchange unit from one of the well known suppliers. I have only done 47 miles.

The usual response is that should not happen as its tested on completion in the workshop. Sending the Overdrive back is not really an option as it will mean taking the gearbox out, to be avoided at all cost. However a new gasket has been offered for me to fit which should solve the problem. Although not happy that I should have to do this as it means removing the gearbox tunnel etc to be able to remove the solenoid bracket, bugger!!

As a thought, has anybody used any externally applied sealer to stop such a leak, allbeit temporarily just in this case to be able to confirm where the leak is before doing the gasket change. I think I have seen articles in car magazines in the past that relate to a product.

Thanks

Rich

Hi Rich,

there is a yellow 'waxy' stick that can be applied to the external edges of a joint. This has been around for many years and appears to work

But you do need to get to the edges of the joint.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LA-CO-20g-Oyltite-Stik-Emergency-Oil-Fuel-Water-Leak-Repair-Sealant-Stick-11476-/291559984104?hash=item43e2544be8:g:pUcAAOSwHjNV7~Cj

Be philosophical about things that go wrong with our cars.

There are many other cars out there that would love to have our access to spares (albeit some duff ones)

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Rich,

I have had this annoying leak for some time and for me it is a very small drip overtime, but it's about clearing the mess up and then topping up the oil which is not a quick job. Another product suggested was Lock tight 518 as a sealer/ in addition to the gasket which I have yet to try. This sealer is not cheap but if it works that is good in my book. Have you looked at the O ring for the operating shaft this could/should have been replaced when overhauled. Could a more substantial / appropriate gasket be the answer against the paper one but you would need to have it made I think. Another thing I tried was a Millers product called Stop Leak added to the oil.( I e mailed Millers and they said it would be ok for overdrives.) Not sure if this made a difference as leak still present. I look forward to hearing others who are much better placed than me to comment. In the mean time should you like to try the 518 lock tight I'am more than happy to post it to you as long it is returned My number is 07973 614172.

Best of Luck

Kevin

Hi all,

Decided the best way is to bite the bullet and spent yesterday stripping out carpets, seats, H frame etc to remove the gearbox cover to get access to the OD. Removed the Soenoid cover and replaced the gasket and O ring. Used Weldseal, seems OK now. Just got to spend today putting it all back together again :mellow:

Cheers

Rich

@Roger

Oyltite-Stik ...

Didn't know you could still get that stuff. Use to use it years ago on wing rivets and fasteners on the B707 and VC10 when they leaked! It did work very well,.

Next we'll be seeing an Eastmans cup and tyre dough!

Dave