Another noobie question folks I'm afraid.

Would it be possible to make a set of TR250 seats from these frames,then buying covers/foams/diaphragms from somewhere like Skinners ?

Triumph Tr6 Seat Frames

Answers on a postcard please ...

Brian

You would need to source the missing hardware bits ( of the Ebay seats ) from elsewhere , to make up the basic metal frame i.e. the wire structure seat back " shape " for the foam, handle , etc. most of this is not available "new ".

Check out Moss Europe's website diagram for a TR250 seat and compare. Missing items are listed as "NCA". Not currently available.

I would source more " complete " second hand seats to refurbish. Source ? Request on the forum or speak to TRGB , TR Bitz, TR Trader, TR Shop.

It would save on transport costs , if one of these suppliers was near you and you would have a chance to inspect the goods. Which part of the country are you ?

All the professional sources would give you a fairly accurate description of "condition " , so you would have an idea what new bits you would require ( and they would probably be able to supply you ). They would usually be reluctant to " cannibalise " their second seats for small bits , preferring to sell the whole seat as one. However, you never know what they might have on their shelves until you enquire.

Bob

Edited by bob-menhennett

Thanks for the replies so far,it prompted me to look a bit deeper. Yes,all not as simple as it seems. Bob you're right,need to keep an eye out for some pukka ones,the car came with TR6 high backs so first world problems and all that ....

Hi Brian, I reckon that TR6 seats are recliners, those you are looking at are headrest ones...

TR250/5 Seats only had the tilt Lever to tilt them forward, and there was a catch on the back of the seat runners to secure them.

But I do know that TR6 seats will fit a TR5.If that's what you prefer.

Cheers,

Conrad.

Roger fitted a reclining TR6 passenger seat in our TR4A for the first Round Britain Reliability Run he completed, it was the most uncomfortable car seat I have ever encountered. Its seat rim dug into the back of the underside of your legs.

TR 4A seats are far more comfortable but do not recline.

No seat in the lineup suits me so well as the 5/250 seat - but I'm not biased ^_^

Here's what you'll be dealing with should you rebuild them: the wires are not in production anywhere. Moreover, they're made from ferociously tough stuff: 1/8" music wire, unbendable by hand even for gorillas.

These pics are from the last ones I had done. All the RH seat wires were broken ( RHD car ). They're now in a '250. Maybe you can tell if they're the same as TR6 frames.

Cheers,

Tom

post-1059-0-04785600-1494002791_thumb.jpg

post-1059-0-70623700-1494002816_thumb.jpg

post-1059-0-69065900-1494002849_thumb.jpg

Brilliant response I've had here - thanks in kind. If it carries any weight this is the most friendly classic car website I've been on by far,cheers