A couple of quick questions which I'm sure lots of you will know the answer to but I'm blowed if I do having searched the forum and the usual TR suppliers websites - is there a single standard thickness for the trailing arm shims and what is it please? Also I see they are available in what I presume is plain steel (not sure if plated in any way) and stainless steel, but what about alloy? I seem to have some very likely looking candidates in my box of bits but they are aluminium.

They don't look difficult to make so presumably you can do any thickness you like - general consensus on here seems to be to start with three on a full rebuild - what overall thickness is that though? I see a set on ebay in stainless which says they are 2mm thick

( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR4A-TR-250-5-TR6-Stainless-steel-Trailing-arm-shims-/252909154482?hash=item3ae28f70b2:g:rX0AAOSwnONZBfqu ) - hope the link works

2mm sounds thicker than normal, but what do I know !!

Thanks as always in anticipation

Cheers

Rich

Mine came from one of the usual suspects and are plated steel, easier to remove later than alloy which will deform. I would start with 2 all round because you need to get the car on a tracking machine to set it up and could end up with none required.

Chris

Good Morning Rich, the good and the bad of Nottinghamshire have clubbed together for you...

I have some if you would like them, gratis !

Have a good day, I am off out to sherwood forest in the TR, see if I can rob the rich and give more to the poor !!

All the best,

Conrad.

I wonder if it's not possible to find adjustable brackets to do away with the shims. Anyone ?

http://www.racetorations.co.uk/triumphs-c56/tr4a-c8/tr4a-chassis-suspension-and-steering-c104/racetorations-trailing-arm-conversion-pair-with-adjustable-brackets-p351

Sure they used to list just the adjuster brackets but can't find them

They look like Richard Good's brackets which allow for easy adjustment of camber but still require shimming to get toe in correct.

As Pete says you do need the shims regardless of what type of bracket you use.The stainless ones are a bit thicker than the originals but regardless I always start with three and then do a geometry check once the car is fully built and has been round the block a few times to let everything settle.

Stuart.

Hi everyone and thanks for input.

Conrad - I don't want ones stolen from the poor!!! Seriously though, I'll email you shortly.

Re the adjustable brackets, I'm not aware that anyone has developed one bracket which adjusts for camber and toe and it's the latter which the shims address.

Following a bit more research, I see Moss quote the thickness of a non SS shim at 0.010" - by my maths, that's approx 0.25mm which is very thin - I wonder if it's a missprint and should be 0.10" which would be approx 2.5mm which is a lot closer to the ebay SS shims at 2.0mm - anyone able to measure a shim please?

cheers Rich

Whenever shims are involved the possible setting is a compromise but as long as toe in is less than Zero and no more than 1/16 then the car should track fine. However I have followed a couple of TRs which crabbed quite badly, bit like original Minis used to with dodgy sub frames so it's important that Rear is set up relative to front.

4 wheel lazer tracking can be helpful to do front and rear at same time but costs about £50.

However you do it get someone to follow you down the road afterwards to see if it drives right . Get it wrong or more one side than other or worse still positive and car will rear steer itself over bumps and dips.

Chris

Hi everyone and thanks for input.

Conrad - I don't want ones stolen from the poor!!! Seriously though, I'll email you shortly.

Re the adjustable brackets, I'm not aware that anyone has developed one bracket which adjusts for camber and toe and it's the latter which the shims address.

Following a bit more research, I see Moss quote the thickness of a non SS shim at 0.010" - by my maths, that's approx 0.25mm which is very thin - I wonder if it's a missprint and should be 0.10" which would be approx 2.5mm which is a lot closer to the ebay SS shims at 2.0mm - anyone able to measure a shim please?

cheers Rich

Original shim measured at 0.07"

Stuart.

Stuart - thanks - that seems more like it - 0.070" equates to approx 1.75 mm . I'll contact Moss to get them to check their data.

Chris - thanks for your input and info digested - there are a number of local places who have full laser stuff kit but I'm quite a long way off that at the moment - hopefully with a straight chassis and a standard starting point as suggested here, I won't be far out.

Cheers

Rich

Just checked one I had left over, seems to be 1.2mm = 50 thou.

Pete

They do turn up in different sizes, my measurement was an original, the stainless ones are 2mm, Often repro steels are just made of 18SWG which is what you have 1.2mm.

Stuart.