No blinking indicators!

Hi

Can anyone guide me please? I'm nearing the end of restoring a 4a for a friend, I can't get the indicators to blink!!

The car has an auto sparks loom and a new flasher unit (digital), when you operate the indicators, they light up but don't flash, I know the flasher unit is good as I've had it working in another circuit

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Tom

Hi Gents

The new loom has a 3 terminal plug with three wires going in

Green - live when ignition on and indicator on

Light green and purple

Green and brown

Which one would be earth?

Tom

The green/purple wire goes to the dash tell-tale lamp and then to earth. Which flasher unit did you get? The three pins may be numbered 49 (green wire), 49a (green/brown) and 31 which usually needs a direct earth connection to make it work (you could easily check that with a jumper wire). If it works when earthed you have the wrong type of flasher unit as the 4A needs one with a pin to drive the dash lamp.

Confusingly, those are also available in 3-pin form needing no extra earth, or in a 4-pin format

Edited by RobH

OK Tom that one should work without an earth. The C terminal is the one for green/purple to the dash lamp. + of course is the green wire to the supply (the car IS negative earth ? ) and R to green/brown.

Its an electronic unit but the data doesn't say its suitable for LEDs - does the car have those or is it ordinary bulbs?

Edited by RobH

That is more puzzling then. Its the right type of relay so on the face of it it should work.

Is the relay fitted in a socket in the loom or are the connections separate spade connections? I believe the location of the pins may be different from the standard unit so that if in a socket it could end up wired incorrectly.

Edited by RobH

OK in that case you need to check that the wires go to the right places on the relay. Green to +, Green/Brown to R, Green/Purple to C.

If they don't it may be possible to move the connectors in the socket if that has push-in spade terminals. Usually you can persuade then to come out of the socket by putting a thin blade down one side to ease back the retaining pip.

I fitted a 0-606-00 to my 4A in 2012 and it was a direct replacement, still working fine.

I would try an original can type to check the loom out.

Chris

You posted about that in 2012 Chris and what you said then was:

"Note to anyone else fitting the Durite unit, do check the enclosed wiring diagram, the terminals may have the same pattern as the tin can units but the wiring is not the same, on the Durite unit - the lower LH & RH wires are the opposite way round!"

(the thread is here: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/35504-new-flasher-unit-does-not-work/page-2)

Thanks for pointing that out Rob, what short memories some of us have. Should have used the search tool. If the new loom has a socket then wires will need changing for durite unit also fitting a standard can unit first will prove loom is ok.

Hi chaps

Update! Many thanks for all of the advice especially Rob, having adjusted the wires to match Robs advice (and Chris's), I realised that there was no link between the flasher unit and the switch, checked the wiring for continuity that was ok then realised that the new indicator switch was wired up wrong, the colours were not where they should be!!

Anyway all working now

Thanks again

Tom