My knobs won't stay on !

I'm In the process of fitting the centre plinth cables, i.e. heater vent, heat valve with new cables and new knobs. But the the little spring pin thats supposed to lock into the knob and hold it into place isn't long enough to hold the knob on. It just pulls off. Useless repro parts yet again.

Has anyone come across this yet ? and found a reliable solution. I'm thinking, glue them on - nah.., grub screw (like you find in electrical plugs), or tape around the shaft - nope...that won't last.

Any clever ideas out there ?

Thank you

best

Bill

I thought I had the same issue with the choke knob and drilled the bottom of the knob by 2 mm. It didn't solve the problem so fiddled with the spring pin to make it tight fit and it worked. No glue required, never.

Edited by Geko

Hi Bill,

are they new knobs, as it may be them rather than the cable pin.

Roger

Hi Roger - new cables and new knobs

I have some old ones, both cables and knobs - they work, but they are in a poor state. Hence the need to replace. I've also tried the new knobs on the old cables and they just work. So it must be the cables. I guess none of the suppliers have tried to fit the new knobs on the new cables to see if they fit. Typical. The new cables I have are from Moss, and I'm tempted to try other suppliers and return these to Moss, but being cynical I'm guessing they will all be from the same manufacturer anyway. I suppose a more long winded solution is to have the originals repaired by Speedy cables ? - and fit new knobs. Very frustrating as I've just fitted all the cables to the plinth and just need to fit the knobs to complete. Looks like I'll have to take them all out again and wait..and start all over again. grrr

best Bill

Hi Bill,

Regard the cable is the inside cable is OK and the out side is just tatty why put slip a length of black heat shrink sleeving over the outside.

You could take both cables and knobs back to Moss and ask them to fit them !!!!!

Roger

Hi Bill,

Regard the cable is the inside cable is OK and the out side is just tatty why put slip a length of black heat shrink sleeving over the outside.

You could take both cables and knobs back to Moss and ask them to fit them !!!!!

Roger

Yes that's another option

Oh and for the return to Moss to fit them. oooh you are naughty - but wouldn't that be so, sooo much fun..- I can just hear the whispering remarks as they go off to get someone to help.. There's some bloke at the counter going on about his knobs ! - God knows what he's on about..can you sort him.

Have a good look at the little pins, they maybe too short or too rounded on the end to catch properly or it maybe the knob doesnt quite go on far enough for it to engage in the hole, I have come across all of those scenarios and with a bit of patience and some fiddling you can get them to fit.

Stuart.

• 3 weeks later...

To conclude the above

Managed to secure all of the cable knobs, except the heater valve. That one was resolved by making a tap/thread into the end metal section and using a grub screw.

A faf, but done.

Best Bill