Oil filter bowl seal fitting instructions.

Just purchased an original bowl. When looking at the 'Moss' catalogue I see part 104 (rubber seal). Can anyone help advise how to fit this seal. Part 107 (centraliser....star shaped) won't slide off the bolt as there are 2 little pips on the bolt and therefore I can not remove the bolt. Does the sealing rubber therefore have to be stretched over the bolt head ?

Gently file the pips enough to allow the centraliser to be removed off the bolt.

Fit new seal

Reassemble centraliser to bolt and re 'pip' the bolt with a centre punch in, on, or near the originals to retain the centraliser.

Cheers

Peter W

PS What colour is your new filter bowl?

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Thanks Peter.

The bowl is second hand and the seller advised it was taken off his 1969 '6' many years back, but the PO painted it with a silverish

hammerite. Will remove this coat at some stage.

Not sure what the implications of colour is ?

Best regards

Peter - are you trying perhaps to establish the correct colour for future engine-painting? The reason I ask is many years ago I owned a beautiful BJ8 big Healey, and hat to have

an engine re-build, which left the block and head stripped of paint. Armed with the oil-filter bowl, I went along to the local automotive paint shop (in Toronto), and got the guy to mix me a quart of paint to match, so that I could maintain originality. A few years later I got a copy of Donald Healey's biography, and the last chapter (written by Geoff Healey - Donald's son) said that at the end of the last shift on Fridays, all the unused body paint was emptied into a drum, and used to paint the engines etc the following week. Lesson is - paint it whatever colour you like. Brown is probably as close as anything.

Hi Austin

No, to your question. I was just responding to Peter W. question....with intrigue.

Cheers