Early Fuel tank/Bosch pump-Issues?

Hi Guys,

Just completed restoring my 69 TR6 PI. Runs well although I am finding that with 1/4 tank of fuel, going around roundabouts seem to starve the Bosch pump of fuel, I can hear it cavitate and the car splutters! On the straight its fine. It has its original tank.

I think I remember some discussion somewhere regarding improved baffleing on later tanks to stop fuel sloshing about. Not sure this is true. The pump set up is the Moss style mounted on a plate with filter fed from tank and pump underneath. All well below the bottom of the tank.

I think I have also read that with a PI its best to keep the tank min 1/2 fuel, is this true?

I also have a 72 PI with a aftermarket alloy tank also with a similar Bosch pump set up with no problems at all, even with low fuel levels.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rich

Not sure if this helps but....

My cp tr6 with bosch 996 pump did suffer with both fuel starvation and pump screech when below 1/4 tank

My cr tr6 with the same bosch 996 pump does not suffer either, can be run right down to empty.

So maybe the tank baffling is doing its job?

Steve

Rich,the early Tanks are not Baffled and you should always try and keep at least 1/4 of a Tank of Fuel or you will encounter Pump problems,your Alloy Tank has probably been made to the later spec Tanks that are Baffled.

This type of Tank may be of benefit as it would always be Full once your Original has Fuel,this is the Set Up I've run for the last year and don't encounter any problems,Tank is available to buy from a Forum Member.

Edited by TR NIALL

Hi Rich, I have an early car without baffles , does the same thing, so just either remember on left hand bends , or just simply fill it up.......no different to the injection whether full or empty as far as I have encountered.

Cheers,

Conrad.

Fuel delivery during L/H turns is certainly a well know issue with TR5's and earlier TR6s with un-baffled tanks.

This looks like a good solution. Who can provide these collector tanks? (Or maybe details to have made here at the other end of the earth)

Robert Johnston

Auckland New Zealand

Triumph in period were aware of the issue and issued Service Instruction 161 which introduced a T piece between the excess fuel return pipe from the PRV with a new connection to the CAV filter thereby routing the excess fuel to both the CAV filter and fuel tank in turn ensuring a constant supply of fuel during a situation of low fuel level, left hand bends and un-baffled tanks.

If anyone wants a copy send me an email to saffrontr6@btinternet.com

cheers

Derek

On 4/20/2017 at 2:00 AM, KiwiTR5 said:

Fuel delivery during L/H turns is certainly a well know issue with TR5's and earlier TR6s with un-baffled tanks.

This looks like a good solution. Who can provide these collector tanks? (Or maybe details to have made here at the other end of the earth)

Robert Johnston

Auckland New Zealand

Search for Kevart in the Members Section and send him a PM.

Edited by TR NIALL

Thanks Guys for all your comments.

Seems there is a clear problem with early tanks without baffles. Nialls solution is a good solution but does not resolve any issues that may be lurking inside my 48 year old tank. I have therefore taken the plunge and purchased a new UK manufactured alloy tank which will resolve the problem and also ensure that any rust and crud that maybe inside my old tank does not get into the PI system in the future.

Seems a no brainer solution having spent £1000's restoring the car and not spending the extra bit.

Regards

Rich

Hi Rich

I have a 69 6 now for 28 years although I had the issue to begin with I solved the issue by putting a bigger fuel filter in the biggest I could get at the time and then fitted the fuel pump mounted under the wing I also made the fuel feed to the filter/pump larger and have had no issues since I can also run the fuel tank to almost empty and run on vapour fumes this is all with the original tank which is still in the car I have covered over 80,000 miles since and not all in this country, the car was also used for a tv program back in the nineties and due to h/safety regs was only aloud into the studios with not much more than a cupful of fuel, the only issue I have had after 15years was the fuel pump went on the way to the international a couple of miles away (Malvern) a friend towed me in I bought a new pump fitted it there and then and its still going strong.

regards

Bluebob

Triumph in period were aware of the issue and issued Service Instruction 161 which introduced a T piece between the excess fuel return pipe from the PRV with a new connection to the CAV filter thereby routing the excess fuel to both the CAV filter and fuel tank in turn ensuring a constant supply of fuel during a situation of low fuel level, left hand bends and un-baffled tanks.

cheers

Derek

Hi Derek, Email sent,

Best regards

cheers

Derek

Received the email thanks Derek. Looks like the best solution to me with very little expense involved.

Gavin

Received the email thanks Derek. Looks like the best solution to me with very little expense involved.

Gavin

Same for me, thanks Derek a simple & easy fix:prevention + an opportunity to stay with Triumph spec configuration. I shall implement at as a prevention on my PI CP w/ baffled tank

Best regards