Repro Bonnets

Hi.

I've been told by my bodywork people that the bonnet on my latest restoration project is virtually irreparable and would it be possible to source another.

I told them that I've heard that the repro bonnets don't fit correctly in that the profile is incorrect. They said that depending which part of the profile was wrong they would be able to correct it. So my question is, does anyone know in what way are they an incorrect profile and what would be required to correct it?

Thanks Regards

Dex

Hi Dex,

I recently purchased a British Heritage TR6 bonnet from Moss for my 69 TR6 which did not fit very well, ie: when level at the centre stood proud at the wings, windscreen end. Moss explanation was that the bonnet tools had been tweeked when BH made TR6 body shells, so were not a perfect fit on an original body. Take it or leave it, its all your going to get. I did manage to tweek it a bit myself by brute force and get a better fit. Strangely enough. I did fit a BH bonnet to my 72 TR6 about 12 years ago and that fitted very well and still looks good.

Best solution would be a good second hand one, they do come up. Sods law one came up on e-bay a couple of weeks after my Moss purchase on e-bay which looked great and went for 1/2 the price of the Moss one. Good luck

Rich

Thanks to all that replied. I did think that a used original would be best, but the only ones I can find are collect only and are many miles away from me. I only have a small eurobox as my daily runabout so owing to the size of the bonnet I would have hire a van and maybe have an overnight stay somewhere. I have noticed that Rimmers have a 15% discount scheme going at the moment so I might have to bite the bullet and get the Heritage unit off them and hope my bodywork people can make a decent fit from it.

Thanks again

Dex

Thanks to all that replied. I did think that a used original would be best, but the only ones I can find are collect only and are many miles away from me. I only have a small eurobox as my daily runabout so owing to the size of the bonnet I would have hire a van and maybe have an overnight stay somewhere. I have noticed that Rimmers have a 15% discount scheme going at the moment so I might have to bite the bullet and get the Heritage unit off them and hope my bodywork people can make a decent fit from it.

Thanks again

Dex

Hi Dex,

If collecting a good 2nd hand bonnet is a problem for you and if the seller is willing to package appropriately then why not employ the services of a courier, there are loads of "Man with a Van" types around at reasonable rates..........http://courierexpert.co.uk/courier-work/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Courier%20Guide&utm_term=courier%20connections&utm_content=courier%20guide .

Richard.

I never cease to be amazed at the pearls of wisdom that crop up in the technical forum.

This is exactly the panel gap discrepancy I have on my bonnet - c.5mm narrower than the windscreen deck on one side and 3mm on the other. So, another piece of the gaping void in my car's history is clearer.

Cheers

Paul

Hey Bruce.

I know it's said 'seeing is believing' but I don't think I have a picture taken for the purpose of showing the gaps per se, however here's one taken for another purpose.

DRL%20004_zpsw6kmx902.jpg[/u

RL]

DRL%20001_zpskcuso1rk.jpg

Edited by poolboy

Hey Bruce.

I know it's said 'seeing is believing' but I don't think I have a picture taken for the purpose of showing the gaps per se, however here's one taken for another purpose.

DRL%20004_zpsw6kmx902.jpg[/u

RL]

DRL%20001_zpskcuso1rk.jpg

Its as I thought! Looking from fender to fender, including the hood leading edge. It looks to be a spot on fit! I also like your inboard lights, are they day time driving lights?

Bruce.

I thought the bonnet fit pretty good too, Bruce....a big black cow "sat down" on the original one, so straitening it out ..was out.

Yes, the little LED lights are wired as DRL's.

I added those lights about a year ago, but I believe this is them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X15W-Eagle-Eye-Lamp-Daylight-LED-DRL-Fog-Daytime-Running-Car-Light-Waterproof-/252409759010?hash=item3ac4cb4522:g:dloAAOSwepZXS~Ry&vxp=mtr

I had the same problem..bonnet full of dings and dents so had to buy a new one from revington.....very very expensive and poor quality but the only one available at the time

Dont go there...get a good origonal heritage panels dont seem to be up to the job