TR4A exhaust manifold cracked

They all crack sooner or later, and an uncracked one is hard to find, expensive, and will crack soon enough !

A good welder will be able to fix it - cast iron exhaust manifolds are notoriously difficult to weld, but the TR casting is easier than many . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Hi Mike,

as stated all these manifolds will and do crack. If it is not cracked it has not been used.

Why do you want to repair it. Once cracked the stresses are relieved and will crack no further.

The gap (crack) is sealed with carbon.

If you want to repair it more thoroughly then consider brazing it.

Brazing will cause no further damage. However a bad weld could ruin it completely

Roger.

Hi Stef,

using one of the better brazing techniques the cast Iron will 'stick' perfectly and cause no cracking to the parent metal.

You can weld cast Iron without cracking but it is a more intricate technique.

Don;t under estimate brazing.

Roger

• 5 months later...

Just MIG-welded a cast iron BBQ plate with the normal steel welding wire, reasonably high setting but not the maximum.

But needed a heat sink at the back of the iron, and did small welds joined up with later with more small welds.

Had a praccy run on an offcut, with no heat sink at back, and got small expansion/contraction(?) cracks on that piece.

Looks like you need the heat sink. Lebro's advice sounds good.

Edited by littlejim

" I think not, brazing will stick not weld on cast iron."

On the contrary, brazed cast can be exceptionally strong, and I've seen it done and the 4A manifold last tens of thousands of miles thereafter.

Brazing weld does require very careful metal preparation, but nothing difficult. When I last saw it done the whole manifold was brought up to heat over a barbecue fed by an air supply from a vacuum cleaner output, to achieve the heat necessary and then allow slow cooling.

No doubt the internet is full of diy videos ?

Cheers

Alec

There is a special rod called Silicon-Bronze for cast-iron. You can use this like ordinary brazing or with a TIG welder.

Attempting to use iron welding risks leaving regions of chilled high-carbon steel which will crack again.

Of all the cast iron bits you might try to repair by welding an exhaust manifold is one of the better bets. It will be free from oil contamination which is often a problem.

I'd ask this bloke:

35689908642_0908449d20_b.jpg

I think not, brazing will stick not weld on cast iron.

I have braced several cast iron heating boilers which have cracked due to being frozen because the heating was left off in a holiday home it is a bit of a pain but as long as you clean back the crack and get enough heat gently into the piece it works and is permanent. It would be easier with a manafold as you can pre heat it in an oven.

Cheers

Alan

Ment brazed but overhelpful/frigging annoying apple device changes the spelling of everything and then will not let me edit my post. I wish I knew how to turn it off, you should see what it does when I write French

Cheers

Alan