Push rod removal

Following a recent overheating episode I noticed immediately a considerable lack of power and a rattling noise from under the rocker cover. Whipped off the rocker cover and the reason was evident as shown in the attached photo.

I dismantled the rocker assembly from the head but in doing so one of the other push rods began to lift along with it. Probably sucked up by oil creating a vacuum in the cup of the rod.

Now the rod refuses to drop back down into its original position.

Am I looking at a cylinder head removal or is there any way around this?

post-4122-0-45082000-1491665028_thumb.jpg

Edited by lindatr4

You have to be very careful when lifting out the push rods not to also pull the cam followers out with them. I suspect this is what has happened, & the follower has not dropped back into its bore, but is instead wedged at an angle.

You may be able to get it back again by using a torch & to see which way it needs to be moved to get it upright. If not, it's head off I'm afraid.

Bob.

Hi,

As Bob has said, you have probably pulled the follower out of its hole.

If you can see it you may be able to get a 'magnet on a stick' into its cavity (where the push rod should be).

This will allow the follower to be lifted and possibly dropped into its hole.

You will then need a very thin stick to push against the follower when removing the magnet.

Your picture has not 'developed'.

What did you find when the rocker cover was removed that rang alarm bells.

Roger

It should be no problem to refit the follower without removing the head. Use a rod with a bit of not-setting sealant, stick the follower on it and in a few trials you should be able to fit it back.

Edit: or a magnet as Roger says...

Edited by Geko

Thanks guys for your precious advice as always. Off now armed with a magnet, a long stick and a torch (try explaining that to the wife!)

Sorry my pic wasn't that clear, it was a bit dark under the hood. The cup of the push rod staring at me was a dead giveaway! It had simply popped out!

post-4122-0-48616100-1491665064_thumb.jpg

Edited by lindatr4

Thanks guys for your precious advice as always. Off now armed with a magnet, a long stick and a torch (try explaining that to the wife!)

Sorry my pic wasn't that clear, it was a bit dark under the hood. The cup of the push rod staring at me was a dead giveaway! It had simply popped out!

Hi,

so the push rod cup has come off - where has it gone, have you got it.

Do you need another push rod - I have some spares

Roger

Hi,

so the push rod cup has come off - where has it gone, have you got it.

Do you need another push rod - I have some spares

Roger

I dont think it has gone Roger, just popped out of the rocker arm. Why it did that is a different question that needs to be answered.

Stan

I will try again with the photo...

Tried an old long thin screwdriver down the hole and after a lot of jiggling around (the screwdriver, not me) I managed to blindly reseat the follower. Talk about luck! Deffo doing the lottery tonight!

If your offer of a spare is still open, I am interested Roger.

post-4122-0-99448200-1491664938_thumb.jpg

Edited by lindatr4

Hi Just thinking about your problem.

I think the only way for the rocker arm to come out of the push rod cup is if the push rod goes down and the rocker does not keep up.

This could be caused by a valve stem seizing in the valve guide (or becoming stiff)

As you had an overheat issue this may be a consequence of it.

Roger

Just a tip, I've had the lifted follower problem as well and as long as you have the time and patience they wil" jiggle" back over the hole in the block and eventually sink back onto the cam lobe.

The way NOT to have the lifted follower is to roll the push rod quickly between both palms pressed together, like a Boy Scout does when trying to make a fire, it breaks the oil film suction upon the bottom of the rod allowing it to be lifted leaving the cam follower in place.

Mick Richards

Looking at the pic the aftermarket pedestals seem to have narrow shims looking like washers. These can cause the whole rocker gear to wobble and the pushrod to come off.

This happened to me when someone else moved the car in a garage and caught his foot on the throttle and sent the revs sky high. This caused one of the rockers to move sideways and stick on the shaft which was worn and had ridges allowing the pushrod to come detached. Quick fix was to clean shellac off rockershaft with fine emery, final proper fix done over next winter was new shaft and rockets.

Chris

Duplicte post ?

Edited by potts4a