Lucas PI system reconditioning

As part of my TR6 (CP) restauration, I have shipped all the components of the fuel system to Neil Ferguson for servicing.

As many of us may be tempted to do this work a DIY job (I was), I thought it would be helpfull to share my experience.

Neil reconditioned my metering unit, injectors (including 2 spares), installed 6 new plastic fuel lines on the fittings and reconditioned the PRV (and adjusted al).

He also tested my existing Bosch pump for sufficient flow and pressure. All seals are compatible with ethonol (viton).

Neil tested the MU before dismantling and noticed it was set very rich, which matches with my experience, a real soot monster.

The parts arrived back home yesterday, and I think a picture tells more than a 1000 words.

All external steel parts are electrolitically plated, including banjos, fitings.

I'm glad I did not do this job myself, the adjustment of the MU would be way out of my league anyway.

I have to store the parts for some time (currently prepping the bodytub), but can't wait to fit them back in he car, hopefully before end of this year.

Almost needless to say I do recommend Neil's excellent work, especially for people (like me) who want to do as much as possible themselves.

Regards,

Waldi

post-13554-0-91253400-1491644062_thumb.jpg

Hi WaldI, Neil did all mine, some time ago, all is working well, I was brave and went with a reconditioned Lucas pump from him too..

Good luck with the rebuild,

Conrad.

Thank you Mike and Conrad,

It is also good for the progress of the restauration, my own output is lacking a bit (health issue).

But I still enjoy the car.

Regards,

Waldi

Neil has helped me out a couple of times, he's a star.

I see you have what looks like a 996 bosch pump, which i believe is 'the one to have'

Did Neil do anything to it by way of servicing or just test it?

Steve

Hi WaldI, Neil did all mine, some time ago, all is working well, I was brave and went with a reconditioned Lucas pump from him too..

Good luck with the rebuild,

Conrad.

+1 He did the whole lot on mine too some time ago, top bloke.

Steve,

The pump was "screaming" when it ran before the restauration (due to cavitation I then assumed), and when I removed the suction line from the tank I noted a flake of rust stuck in the fuel pipe entrance, so hoped the pump was ok and it was this restriction that caused it.

The fuel line ID is small anyhow at around 6 mm.

The fuel filter (pump inlet) was also of the era of my favorite "The River" (Bruce Springsteen), so that probably did not help too.

Neil tested the pump, which is indeed a 996 pump, and confirmed it is still fine, so I will install it as is, it is not servicable, I believe.

Neil also mentioned he reconditions quitte a number of original Lucas pumps, by the way.

Regards,

Waldi

+1 for the 996. However if should get goosed on a run, I have a lucas pump all ready mounted in the appropriate position. Just needs the wiring and hoses reconnecting.

Cheers

(two pumps) Dave

post-13371-0-95058500-1491683233_thumb.png

Steve,

The pump was "screaming" when it ran before the restauration (due to cavitation I then assumed), and when I removed the suction line from the tank I noted a flake of rust stuck in the fuel pipe entrance, so hoped the pump was ok and it was this restriction that caused it.

The fuel line ID is small anyhow at around 6 mm.

The fuel filter (pump inlet) was also of the era of my favorite "The River" (Bruce Springsteen), so that probably did not help too.

Neil tested the pump, which is indeed a 996 pump, and confirmed it is still fine, so I will install it as is, it is not servicable, I believe.

Neil also mentioned he reconditions quitte a number of original Lucas pumps, by the way.

Regards,

Waldi

Thanks Waldi

I have a 996 installed, by racetorations i believe, and a spare in the garage!

Fuel filter wise i use a large disposable sytec filter, mounted vertically to act as a small reservoir / swirl pot.

Seems to work well as can run the tank right down to empty without a hickup.

Steve

Aha Steve, a man with two 996 pumps: you are a wealthy man:).

I have a couple of spare Lucas pumps, but not a spare 996 pump, so having a reconditioned spare Lucaspump is a good idea, thanks for the idea Dave.

Waldi

Aha Steve, a man with two 996 pumps: you are a wealthy man:).

I have a couple of spare Lucas pumps, but not a spare 996 pump, so having a reconditioned spare Lucaspump is a good idea, thanks for the idea Dave.

Waldi

They occasionally come up on ebay, best when the seller doesnt put 'tr5/6' in the title!

have a couple of 996 pumps. Didn't know that made me wealthy :-). Not going to use them for the foreseeable future as i am going down the supercharger route. Perhaps I should see the pumps as an investment.

Cheers

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

anyone know how to get hold of neil....? what is his forum name....? almost at the point of wanting to get me PI kit refurbed/ checked..

cheers

Nick

Neil did my injectors and my meting unit three years ago, the car has not missed a beat since, quality job indeed he knows his stuff , great to deal with ;):D

30 mpg to Lemans two's up with all the camping gear :D

Edited by Clarkey