Hi newby to TRs. I am considering buying a TR3A but the engine number seems strange. It is TS 28178 E and I would appreciate any information as to its age ect. The chassis number is TS 61281 and the car I know is an import from South Africa but is original RHD and still in its original box idler format. Any help would be appreciated . Chris.

Have you seen the numbers up close, Chris? It's quite common for people to sometimes misread the stamp on the engine (or even the commission plate).

From what you report, there's something definitely amiss. MUCH later bodyshell vs engine. That's not necessarily a bad thing -- many of these cars had lots of modifications, particularly far away from traditional support as in RSA, It's a rare sidescreen TR, in fact, that is "original" in all respects. Understanding what you have doesn't make it worth any less, IMO.

Might be good to check the chassis Z-number to see what era it dates from. (You'll find several threads discussing Z-numbers on here via the search function).

Edited by Don H.

Have you seen the numbers up close, Chris? It's quite common for people to sometimes misread the stamp on the engine (or even the commission plate).

From what you report, there's something definitely amiss. MUCH later bodyshell vs engine. That's not necessarily a bad thing -- many of these cars had lots of modifications, particularly far away from traditional support as in RSA, It's a rare sidescreen TR, in fact, that is "original" in all respects. Understanding what you have doesn't make it worth any less, IMO.

Might be good to check the chassis Z-number to see what era it dates from. (You'll find several threads discussing Z-numbers on here via the search function).

+1 for Dons tips. Do you know the year of registration or manufacture?

Iain

Hi newby to TRs. I am considering buying a TR3A but the engine number seems strange. It is TS 28178 E and I would appreciate any information as to its age ect. The chassis number is TS 61281 and the car I know is an import from South Africa but is original RHD and still in its original box idler format. Any help would be appreciated . Chris.

Chris 2 bits of advice, get down to your local group and have you got copy of Bill P's book 'Original Triumph TR' ISBN 978-1-906133-68-9. if you have and you have I'll get my coat, if not, I couldn't recommend both strongly enough.

Chris have just taken said 'Original Triumph TR' of the shelf and this is what it says

Chassis TS 61281 would indicate a post Oct 59 build with the revised body shell and raised platforms for the boot and bonnet hinges.

Engine TS28178 indicates a build date around Feb 58 if I've worked that out right from the chassis numbers issued in 58!

BUT I have been told by those that actually know what they are talking about rather than read books on the subject :ph34r: that SA cars don't always follow the 'rules' with regards chassis/engine numbers

Thanks Graham, sounds a bundle of fun but the car looks genuine so I dont think I will worry unduely. At the end of the day it is the car I want, it is in great shape and its the right price in my opinion. Cheers Chris.

60 years on there are probably not that many sidescreen cars still sporting their original engine . . . . . one wet liner TR engine is pretty much like another in terms of fitment, and its only in relatively recent years that the 'matching numbers' thing has come to the fore.

TRs never had matching numbers, commission and engine numbers didn't coincide, and there are numerous known anomalies . . . . . and that's without all the years through which we cheerfully replaced one knackered TR lump with whatever other less knackered Standard or Triumph engine, block, head, came to hand.

Then again, a knackered lump would be replaced by A N Other, and the owner might cheerfully grind off the number from the replacement engine and restamp that number originally fitted to the car . . . . .

Originality is at best a chimaera, or more realistically a load of old cobblers.

Cheers

Alec

60 years on there are probably not that many sidescreen cars still sporting their original engine . . . . . one wet liner TR engine is pretty much like another in terms of fitment, and its only in relatively recent years that the 'matching numbers' thing has come to the fore.

TRs never had matching numbers, commission and engine numbers didn't coincide, and there are numerous known anomalies . . . . . and that's without all the years through which we cheerfully replaced one knackered TR lump with whatever other less knackered Standard or Triumph engine, block, head, came to hand.

Then again, a knackered lump would be replaced by A N Other, and the owner might cheerfully grind off the number from the replacement engine and restamp that number originally fitted to the car . . . . .

Originality is at best a chimaera, or more realistically a load of old cobblers.

Cheers

Alec

Alec.

Agree TRs never had matching Commision/ Body/Engine etc numbers, but when they match the Build Certificate then in my opinion that is a matching numbers car.( assuming someone hasn't ground the numbers off and re stamped...).

Iain