Continuing with my restoration, reached another milestone, painting the body with primer filler but under the wings I'm using POR 15 Bedliner. Anyone got any experience of this kind of "protection"? I thought, it's a very durable paint, so why not!

post-10778-0-55467600-1490639189_thumb.jpg

post-10778-0-95484300-1490639214_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I think there is better stuff on the market than spray-in protection for truck boxes. I used zinc coating, and then a thinner rubberized paint for protection, as most of our roads are gravel, the underside of our cars gets a beating almost everyday.

Truck box protection does come loose after some time, again, everybody here drives a truck and if you really want to protect your box it needs to be sprayed by a professional with the proper equipment. The stuff you put on yourself is not as good a quality.

Yves

Stuart favors a stone chip product such as Gravitex for these areas. The bed liner stuff is similar but a lot thicker and I wonder if it is more prone to chipping off when hit than a true stone chip product that may be less brittle.

Stan

I bed linered the inner fenders of my TR6 when I finished my restoration about 9 years ago. I did bedliner over fresh paint that I scuffed with a scotchbrite pad. It looks as good now as when I applied it...no chipping and it washes up well. I was so happy with it, I did the same on my 60 TR3A and will be doing the same on my 59.

Cheers

Tush

Hi,

I think there is better stuff on the market than spray-in protection for truck boxes. I used zinc coating, and then a thinner rubberized paint for protection, as most of our roads are gravel, the underside of our cars gets a beating almost everyday.

Truck box protection does come loose after some time, again, everybody here drives a truck and if you really want to protect your box it needs to be sprayed by a professional with the proper equipment. The stuff you put on yourself is not as good a quality.

Yves

I used a 2K primer beneath the bedliner as corrosion protection

I used a 2K primer beneath the bedliner as corrosion protection

2K primer wont stop corrosion unless it is heavily Zinc based.

Stuart.

2K primer wont stop corrosion unless it is heavily Zinc based.

Stuart.

True, lots of zink is the way to go (and to be on the safe side, cover it with 240 my tar epoxi like the industrial paint systems we used at the pulp mill were I used to work ;) ).

Edited by ijonsson