Last time I changed the oil was when two of the local tyre companies were having a price war, so I had the oil and filter changed for less than the price of the oil, as well as the fun of watching someone else get an armful of hot oil when changing the filter! However, it's due for a change again, and the drain plug is: a) very tight, and B) rounded. :(

I think I need to buy a new one before butchering the old one out with a big Stillson wrench.

Pete

It's sometimes just the simple things in life, like changing a sump plug, that give immense pleasure!

I bought a sump plug spanner off ebay, foolishly, which was softer than the plug!

With a good quality new plug in one hand, get the stillsons in the other.

Atb

Edited by rog1

Armed with a new plug, I had a look in my "things from boot sales that'll come in handy one day" box, and found a toolpost key from a Herbert lathe that looked about the right size. A few strokes with a file to remove the burrs from the tyre fitters' spanners, a hardwood wedge between the chassis and the end of the key, a good belt from a lump hammer and out came the sump plug!

Just as well really, as my new one has a slightly different thread although the diameters seem the same.

So, in with a new filter, a gallon of Halfords Classic 20/50 (must get some more tomorrow), track rod end changed (advisory at last MOT) and front hub adaptors changed so I can fit my new shiny wire wheels. Not a bad day.

It'll probably p*** down for the rest of the year.

Pete