Beeping Horn Problem when turning steering wheel... Oh yes!

Dear all,

Any help with this old chestnut will be gratefully received as I'm at the point of going insane. Here's what I've done so far.

The problem is on a TR5.

Steering Wheel on and off several times to investigate and make sure that nothing is touching the circular brass strip at the top of the column.

Adjusted the column up and down to make sure there is air between the wheel and the brass strip at the top of the column.

Bought a new pencil thingy.

Bent the tab on the back of the horn button in and out a bit.

Finally took the horn button out altogether this afternoon.

Horn still beeps on turning right and left.

No idea what else to look at.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Dave.

Sounds like the wire that is normally earthed by the horn button to sound the horn is earthing somewhere along its route.

Probably chafe?

Steve

I have a 4A, not sure how the horn circuit works on a 5. If the horn only misbehaves when turning left and right then some part of the steering column is shorting against the purple (on 4A) feed to the circular brass contact. My guess would be the clip that activates the indicator switch.

Hope this helps.

Graham

Happened on my 6 this month

In my case it was down to a bodged repair by a PO causing the cable running down the column to short out

Dave

I used to get this on my '6.

I tried all things and it still happened.

What I found works for me is if I make sure that the horn button (the complete unit) is pushed in. My horn only seems to go off by mistake if that has worked forward. Not ideal, but it stops it sounding when turning. I noticed it happened most when reversing (as you turn round to look backwards you pull on the steering wheel and it sounds the horn). Very frustrating.

If you find another cure please let me know!

Rog