OverDrive operation

Roger,

A few years ago when I re-built my 'A' type OD unit I found an article on-line which covered this job in detail. I think it was under the heading of "Greasy Hands Garage" in the US. They said that the Laycock OD manual stated that the end float should be o.014 to 0.020 whereas the Haynes and the Bentley manuals state 0.008 to 0.014. They said that 0.020 seems to be a lot just to ensure free rotation and they recommended the lesser amount and blamed this excess movement for the common failure of the thrust washers and carrier washers.

I was thinking, is possible that it is also the cause of the circlip failure?

Colin

Hi John & Colin,

thanks for your comments. I shall drive it as is and see what happens. The last repair lasted just under three years.

if/when it fails again I shall take it apart myself and see what is going on.

The garage that I use is good (but bloody slow) so i'm sure they are doing what they need to do. However it is often good ot have fresh eyes on a problem.

Anyway the box is back in and I'm just buttoning things up. Fingers crossed.

Roger