new tyre 165VR15 from Pirelli

Hi Chaps

i thought you might be interested to know about a new period tyre that has just been produced again by Pirelli http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/165vr15-pirelli-cinturato-cn36-n4.html

no one says they are cheap, but they are cool

In 1975 - They are the tyre I managed to lose on a favourite bend in the dry and smack the rear of my TR with - so, for me, barge poles are not long enough.

I had changed from Dunlop SP Sports 165x15 to Cinturato CA67 175x15 on TR6 rims - on a TR3A. They were cheap from Pete Buckles though at £12.50 each.....

I sold them a week later for the same price, the new owner loved them on his TR4.

Peter W

:o:o:o:o The Pirelli is 3x£ of a good Vredstein.

Roger

I was tyre-hunting last week and spotted these.... my wallet told me to stop being daft and buy some Vredestein's !

..... Andy

Why didn't you show me these when I came and collected the xas 's!

Tom

I do recall having a set of CN36 back in the day . . . . almost new, on something or other quick that we'd taken in chop.

One weekend they lasted, and Monday morning they went in the skip - dreadful things.

That was the last set of Pirellis for years until I bought the Audi 80q shod with Pirellis . . . . . 10 miles and it was round to the tyre shop. Deja vu.

As for £215 a throw . . . . . come back McEnroe, all is forgiven.

Cheers

Alec

Interesting - the reviews I've read seem to rate them highly, at least in comparison with Vredesteins (which I've used a lot) and the Michelin XWX (especially in the wet).

They also have official recognition from Porsche for early 911's.

Obviously, those of you who have used them in the past would strongly disagree!!! Anyone shod their TR6 (or 5 or 4, etc.) with these latest incarnations and want to put their head above the parapet??

Cheers,

Tim

I recall when father first bought the TR4A in 1970 it was shod with Cinturatos. They still had good tread depth but maybe they were factory fit and had begun to harden. In any event it only took one drive in the wet for us to decide to bin these tyres. We fitted Dunlop SP Sport, great adhesion and outstanding in the wet but not so hot on mileage.Tyre technology has come on somewhat in forty+ years and it is now possible to find a more acceptable compromise between grip and durability.

Tim

Used to love Cinturatos on the rear of the Vitesse for Autotesting back in the late 70's early 80's! Bugger all grip even in the dry but you could handbrake turn beautifully, switch from first to reverse and hit the throttle and they would just spin and smoke without breaking a UJ or the gearbox. Would I have driven to the event on them? No Way!

Alan

Had several MK2 Jags on them and no thank you, however my Dad had a company car, Hillman Hunter on them and it handled well and got good mileage out of them. I suspect the compound mix these days is far and away better than it was then though.

Stuart.

In 1975 - They are the tyre I managed to lose on a favourite bend in the dry and smack the rear of my TR with - so, for me, barge poles are not long enough.

I had changed from Dunlop SP Sports 165x15 to Cinturato CA67 175x15 on TR6 rims - on a TR3A. They were cheap from Pete Buckles though at £12.50 each.....

I sold them a week later for the same price, the new owner loved them on his TR4.

Peter W

Oo, this one is going to get me in trouble:-

Can i suggest that the spin you had was down to fitting wider tyres. taking off a full profile 165 and fitting a lower wider tyre will make a car a bit more spinney!

I have just been on a Jaguar forum discussing how, a Vredestein will only ever get chosen over a Pirelli or a Michelin because of price.

Ha Ha Tom!

Yes we should have told you about the new 165VR15 CN36 really. We can show you next time. interestingly that red TR6 you had just dropped off back with my mate Jonno is fitted with a 185/70VR15 Cinturato CN36. ( he would have fitted 165, but the car came with wide wheels)

10527846_865548810178497_429390204491591

Dougal, your original post's Longstone link gives me a 404 - file not found error (at least over here).

As a matter of interest does anyone know when the Cinturato went out of production, my car arrived with four new ones which I still have, I have assumed they are too old to use.

Paul

As a matter of interest does anyone know when the Cinturato went out of production, my car arrived with four new ones which I still have, I have assumed they are too old to use.

Paul

Paul I've just ripped tho straight of the internet

Ten years is a maximum. If the tyres haven't been replaced 10 years after their date of manufacture, as a precaution, Michelin recommends replacing them with new tyres. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wearindicator.

Paul I've just ripped tho straight of the internet

Ten years is a maximum. If the [/size]tyres haven't been replaced 10 years after their date of manufacture, as a precaution, Michelin recommends replacing them with new [/size]tyres. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread [/size]wearindicator.[/size]

Hi Graham I have fitted vredestein tyres and don't intend using the Cinturatos its just a matter of interest, disposal of tyres cost £3.30 each here, I now have a collection of motorcycle and car tyres that I'm considering turning into a garden feature!

Any ideas anyone.

Paul

A set of old tyres on any old rims can be very useful for storing a car over winter . . . . . . save flatspotting the good ones.

A trailer queen owner might be very pleased to bag an original set of Pirellis - he's only interested in the cosmetics and doesn't drive the car.

Cheers

Alec

Hi Graham I have fitted vredestein tyres and don't intend using the Cinturatos its just a matter of interest, disposal of tyres cost £3.30 each here, I now have a collection of motorcycle and car tyres that I'm considering turning into a garden feature!

Any ideas anyone.

Paul

Paul here you go …………..http://www.dumpaday.com/genius-ideas-2/creative-uses-for-old-tires-20-pics/

Very good Graham, let's get creative. I think everyone should own a pair of Cinturato Flip Flops. Apparently good for mud and snow as written on tyres.

Incidentally more research has established they were manufactured in 94.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

one of our London group chaps was given a set of Pirelli's as a get you by for a short while.

After about twenty years he had to bite the bullet and get rid of them.

As they got older they got harder and thus they got older and then harder ad infinitum

They had no grip but you could get a good polish on the tread.

Roger

Buddy has a long door TR2 still on original tires. Kind of convenient as they don't need air any longer to keep the car up.

Not that great on the road, though.

Yes Roger I know what you mean I removed a motorcycle tyre 6 months ago from a 1950s Ariel, the tyre had a manufacture date of 1956, the tyre tread still had years left in it but very hard. The owner was quite happy with it, it's now part of my creative study in the garden.

Don the tyres I have are marked Nylon on the walls and appear quite soft and flexible, the tread is obviously a much harder compound. Made in the USA so they must be good!!. The only signs of perishing is on the rubber tread.