oil type to use

Hi,

I am having the oil changed soon and want some advice on what to use.Is it to be mineral,semi-synthetic?Unless I order through the net it has become difficult to get castrol for classic cars.Could I use a magnetec oil which I think is semi-synthetic instead.Halfords do a Comma oil classic? Advice please also is it to be 20/50 or 10/40?

cheers

Probably at least a dozen very good threads here on that subject -- some of which are fairly recent. Suggest trying the search function for a while for a lot of previous discussion on oils.

Hi erickania

I use Pentite 20/60 which has a good zddp level. Pretty sure you don't want to use a synthetic oil, but any good mineral oil 20/50 - 20/60 grade will be OK.

I am sure you will get plenty of different posts regarding which manufacturers/grade and zddp levels.

Hi Eric,

As said the search function will blow your mind with advice, here's a thread which is only about 12 lines below yours and current.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/61465-warning-millers-oils-product-descriptions/

Mick Richards

Hi,

I am having the oil changed soon and want some advice on what to use.

That unfortunately is a bit like me asking on the forum what size shoes should I buy? Not enough information :)

Hi erickania

I use Pentite 20/60 which has a good zddp level. Pretty sure you don't want to use a synthetic oil, but any good mineral oil 20/50 - 20/60 grade will be OK.

I am sure you will get plenty of different posts regarding which manufacturers/grade and zddp levels.

I wouldn't use anything but a modern synthetic with the correct "classic" additives

Hi Eric,

just to get you on the road - the Halfords classic works well.

Not sure if any synthetic has any ZDDP - you need that.

Roger

Yes I use up the old Halfords stuff - in the lawn mower :)

The good "Classic" Synthetics all have ZDDP

Hi Eric,

As said the search function will blow your mind with advice,

Exactly, and I suspect that for every 100 TR owners you ask you will get around 80 different recommendations :)

A lot depends on your specific engine and what you use it for, how you drive it.

Alan

Have fun doing the research!

That unfortunately is a bit like me asking on the forum what size shoes should I buy? Not enough information :)

I wouldn't use anything but a modern synthetic with the correct "classic" additives

Yes I use up the old Halfords stuff - in the lawn mower :)

The good "Classic" Synthetics all have ZDDP

Exactly, and I suspect that for every 100 TR owners you ask you will get around 80 different recommendations :)

A lot depends on your specific engine and what you use it for, how you drive it.

Alan

Have fun doing the research!

That's me told then...

For what it's worth I use a ZDDP additive with a semi synthetic oil.

Base your mix on enough for an oil and filter change and a top up if required.

From what i can gather most modern oils with ZDDP are based on 800ppm at the moment when it needs be around 1000-1200ppm.

Must admit I just follow the manufacturers instructions on the bottle.

H.

PS. East Coast ZDDP Plus on eBay.

Edited by hman

Halfords classic here.... changed the oil once when I dropped the sump to re-shell the crank. Not bothered since it gets a good thrashing, doesn't appear to use much either.

Mobil 1 0w30 for the lawn mower.

I use Valvoline VR1 Racing 20w50.

So do I, in the 1974 TR6 and 1936 Riley 9 Special.

The mower gets John Deere oil.

The wallet is rarely lubricated and often seizes up.