Vertical Link & Fulcrum pin wear

Hi all - just posted a further question on this which seems to have disappeared into thin air so here goes again.

Whilst I can understand and agree the vertical links are toast, is that the case for these fulcrum pins? Apart from new ones, I don't recall ever seeing used fulcrum pins which don't show some corrosion, and I cant see how this matters given that only rubber/poly bushes fit over the "bearing" surface and they are not supposed to rotate, rather twist under compression. In many respects, some "grip" on the surface could arguably be beneficial?

Happy to be corrected.

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich,

are you referring to the fore/aft pin in #95.

The rubber bushes will absorb some of the shock loads on the pins but at what point will it give in.

New pins are available (apprx £15 each) but require a decent big press to stick them in.

If the pin breaks then the wheel will collapse.

Roger

Hi Rich,

are you referring to the fore/aft pin in #95.

The rubber bushes will absorb some of the shock loads on the pins but at what point will it give in.

New pins are available (apprx £15 each) but require a decent big press to stick them in.

If the pin breaks then the wheel will collapse.

Roger

#95 ? Surely the upper fulcrum is in one piece ?

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Hi Bob,

indeed. #1 fulcrum pin is one steel lump and it does/can go rusty.

However as the thread was about the trunnion area I thought Rich was talking about item #95 and the steel pin that goes through it.

This goes very rusty and wears considerably.

Compared to the TR4A steel bolt that goes through, the TR4 pin is quite puney.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Sorry Roger for not making it clear but I was talking about the upper wishbone fulcrum pin (pt no 200659 ) which mounts which mounts on the top of the turret - are we agreed that a bit of corrosion on these bush mounting surfaces is OK? Incidentally these are £30+ from the normal sources

I also agree that you can't be too careful with the bottom trunnion bolt which nearly always does corrode and wear!

Cheers

Rich

Sorry me for my experience:

the poly bushes have to slide as good as possible on the falcrum pin.

If wanted I explain, my story, true story, no lies.

Ciao Marco

Edited by Z320

Hi ?,

here comes what happened to my TR4A, true story.

The car was bad maintained when I bought it 7 years ago, so I had to change also these rubber bushes.

I ordered poly new bushes from a well known british TR sparepart trader and got nameless quality.

As I realised later they have been too stiff and to voluminous, difficult to press in the wishbones and on the fulcrum pins,

but they sliped / turned with the added silicon grease on the falcrum pins. That worked well or not for one year,

until I had to lift the TR for some work on the brakes. I guess the poly bushes alreday sticked stiff on the pins.

When the wheels hang fully down the upper wishbones turned down and the poly bushes have been forced to slip in a lower position,

stiffed there again - and pushed the car front up when it came back on the ground. They did not move back in the former position.

The car look ridiculous long legged, like one of these Hi-Riders. So sad, a total misstake.

I always had to drive uphill and fuel consumption ingreased!!! Ups, that´s fake news :rolleyes:

On recommendation I changed to Superflex, with fair effort to press in the wishbone and on the pins.

And inside with a rhombus surface to keep some silicon grease there after they have been pressed on the pins.

That works since years and made my TR a beauty again.

So I realise: the upper poly bushes have to slip as easy as posible.

On the lower bushes you can open the nuts and tighten them when the car is on the wheel.

That works not on the upper bushes.

You can use your falcrum pins but keep this story in mind, hoping your TR never looks long legged.

Ciao Marco

Edited by Z320

The Superpro (and Superflex - same product, different marketing) range works well - I've used Superpro on a whole range of cars, all absolutely spot bollocks on. Good results handling wise too.

Every other variety of polybush that I've tried proved to either not fit properly in the first place, or have a working life of notalot before self destructing - in some instances, less than 20% of the Superpro working life. I've never actually had to replace a Superpro bush . . . . .

Usual disclaimers !

Cheers

Alec