Alternator Heat Shield

You guys just use the wrong alternator. :)

I had a Lucas alternator on my 4A fitted with a Phoenix exhaust manifold, along with a heat shield from Revington. The heat shield fractured in short order and was removed, resulting in two failed Lucas alternators in quick succession.

10 years ago, following advice from Tony Sheach, I fitted a Nippon Denso alternator which has been faultless so far. It has endured ambient air temps up to 40 degC and the manifold is not wrapped or coated in anything.

Cheers

Graeme

What type? (and where did you get yours?)

Hi Tim,

This is the type I use but try and get an original ND, also, it may be better if you can get the 60 or 65A version. Quite common so should be available from usual sources.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KUBOTA-40A-BRAND-NEW-ALTERNATOR-REPLACING-NIPPON-DENSO-TYPE-/132133777100?hash=item1ec3c96ecc:m:md2qcEDWnjz6687Y3t4q66w

I bought mine in the UK and used a Revington conversion, but it should be quite simple to make something up yourself. It is a single bottom mount and you just need a spacer to line the pulleys up.

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by graeme

Good scheme mostly Alan, but black paint facing the alternator actually maximises the radiation towards it. The ideal radiator is a 'black body' and that is why most electronic heat-sinks are matt black, so they radiate the heat more efficiently - (and yes I know they mainly work through convection). It probably wouldn't make much difference in practice but in theory its better to have that surface shiny.

Well that's that tin of aluminium high temp paint finished off then.

One caveat is that what looks reflective in visible light isn't necessarily reflective at infrared. Aluminum is a decent reflector at both visible and IR, but at IR the state of polish is much less important.

Ed