Overdrive does not work in second

NOT as intended !

AlanR

I'll bear that in mind

but when you need to stop urgently (and the TR3A's braking system is not the best) braking, changing down, and getting out of overdrive, might be the difference between an accident and a pleasant drive the next day.

Hi Qim,

inside the overdrive there is a circlip (a clip for holding parts together).

If the OD is allowed to bang in and out of gear or used as a brake then this circlip will break and that means a rebuild.

Indeed, use the gearbox to help slow but not the OD. The brakes always work better than the GB for braking.

Get the OD working and then try to engage/disengage the OD smoothly - it can be done.

Roger

I'll bear that in mind

but when you need to stop urgently (and the TR3A's braking system is not the best) braking, changing down, and getting out of overdrive, might be the difference between an accident and a pleasant drive the next day.

No problem. If the sequence and speed of things are a problem, you can always go out and get yourself a Logic overdrive controller http://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr1296pk/name/logic-device-kit-with-night-dim-ve

I personally have no experience with this device; others do.

Next: the brakes: with or without an overdrive: a TR is a lightweight car with big wheels and big brakes. A TR can be stopped without to much problems. There are tons of upgrades for the TR's braking available to be sure that your car can handle 21st century traffic. Again, TR Revington is a good place to start. So is TR Enterprises. Other members will chime in, no doubt.

Never opt for a mechanical solution with an old chest (clonking OD) when you can fix this with nice new parts.

Thanks for the advice. I will take it!

Thanks

Now, if I want to adjust the switches on top of the GB, uner the circumstances and my mention of the clonking when I engage the OD should I lower or otherwise the spacers?

Or is it done with a feeler gauge? What should be the gap?

Edited by qim

Looks like I've been driving my TRs wrong since 1974 as I've had no problem disengaging the overdrive to decelerate - as long as you don't over rev the engine. If the consensus is only to disengage whilst under braking then I'll beg to differ.

Hi Pete,

I'm completely confused now, You can move in and out of OD as and when it pleases you.

Since fitting my DIY logic box I irritate Sue by giving her demonstrations of seamless OD shifting and ask her to spot it.

Brakes don't come into it.

Boys and toys

Roger

No problem. If the sequence and speed of things are a problem, you can always go out and get yourself a Logic overdrive controller http://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr1296pk/name/logic-device-kit-with-night-dim-ve

I personally have no experience with this device; others do.

I have one in my tr4. It works quite well. I replaced the overdrive column switch with a modern, but classic style pulse column switch.

I had to add an extra voltage stabilizer in the feedcircuit to the controller. It was quite sensitive and reacted on Every change in power, like Horns, indicator, etc

Hi Pete,

I'm completely confused now, You can move in and out of OD as and when it pleases you.

Since fitting my DIY logic box I irritate Sue by giving her demonstrations of seamless OD shifting and ask her to spot it.

Brakes don't come into it.

Boys and toys

Roger

Quite so Roger. I only commented because it seems to me that two contributors do not advocate switching out of overdrive to decelerate. Perhaps I read both posts wrong.

Qim

Hopefully and more likely your problem will just be a faulty or mis-adjusted switch, or a wiring issue, but if not I thought it worth sharing with you that when I got my TR3a the OD on 2nd did not work. I spent months checking wiring, and adjusting and replacing switches until I realised there had to be something missing inside the gearbox top cover. It turned out that whilst the top cover had the switch for 2nd , the selector fork was from a non overdrive car. I was able to get an exchange unit relatively cheaply which solved the problem.

Quite so Roger. I only commented because it seems to me that two contributors do not advocate switching out of overdrive to decelerate. Perhaps I read both posts wrong.

There is nothing wrong with switching out of overdrive to decelerate it's how you do it that matters. If you switch out on a trailing throttle there will be a jerk. What you need to do is to hold the throttle level or increase slightly while you change out and then close the throttle to decelerate.

...when you need to stop urgently (and the TR3A's braking system is not the best) braking, changing down, and getting out of overdrive, might be the difference between an accident and a pleasant drive the next day.

BS. The brakes on a TR3A are excellent. Properly set up brakes and managing lockup will stop a lightweight TR better than many moderns. There should be no need for engine braking to supplement the original system.

I think the general point here is -

Obviously, dropping out of overdrive, with foot off the throttle,

is going to slow down the car, and will therefore aid braking.

IMO it's not a good idea to use dropping out of overdrive at

highish revs as the sudden drop in revs puts extra strain on

the overdrive and other parts of the drive chain.

As for the comment saying "no benefit having overdrive on 2nd"

- I'm gobsmacked.

Sitting behind a slower vehicle, waiting for an opportunity to

overtake - in 2nd overdrive giving reasonable revs: opportunity

comes, flick out of overdrive to instantly get more power, scream

past and flick back into overdrive as you go, so no need to waste

time with a gear change until you are well past.

Can't believe I'm the only one to drive like that ! !

AlanR

AlanR

Qim

Hopefully and more likely your problem will just be a faulty or mis-adjusted switch, or a wiring issue, but if not I thought it worth sharing with you that when I got my TR3a the OD on 2nd did not work. I spent months checking wiring, and adjusting and replacing switches until I realised there had to be something missing inside the gearbox top cover. It turned out that whilst the top cover had the switch for 2nd , the selector fork was from a non overdrive car. I was able to get an exchange unit relatively cheaply which solved the problem.

The OD in 2nd always worked in my car since the 70s when I bought it. It stopped working recently. Since reading through the manual that you sent me I decided to wait until I can fine tune the switches (or get a knowledgeable local mech to do it for me...)