Triplex windscreen vs. std, what is the difference?

I sadly broke my windscreen trying to get it out of the frame, as the frame needed restoration. I have just looked at a few suppliers and there are two versions available the std one for £85 and a Pilkington Triplex one for £215. Both are clear laminated screens. Looking at a few dedicated windscreen suppliers for classic cars the big highlighted benefit of the Triplex is that it has the Triplex logo, considered essential for concours cars. WOW. My TR6 is far from concours as I drive it year round. So a question to you knowledgeable, talented, clever people what do I get for the extra pound notes, ignoring the logo? Is it worth it?

Mick

Possibly, the cheap repros are just that, the point to check is the bottom corners, often the repro ones when fitted dont fill the corners of the frame fully and you can see daylight through! Also there can be a bit of variation in thickness too. FWIW when fitting make sure you havent lost the little blocks that hold the screen centrally in the frame.

Dont feel bad about breaking your old one as its very rare to be able to get them out without.

Stuart.

Mine is the original Triplex toughened. It's totally unmarked and clear but do you think it would be wise to replace it with a laminated screen?

There's nothing wrong with a toughened screen, providing you don't stick your head through it at speed.

Less chance of breaking one when refitting than with a laminated screen.

In any case, lots of old cars don't have an option - it's old toughened or nothing, simply because there are no laminated screens available.

Cheers

Alec

Mine is the original Triplex toughened. It's totally unmarked and clear but do you think it would be wise to replace it with a laminated screen?

If its clear and unscratched then TBH unless your au-fait with replacing one I would keep it as it is.

Stuart.

Hi Dave,

as mentioned - if it is unmarked and clean, leave it alone.

From a safety point of view not all things are as clear as they may seem.

If you happen to head butt a toughened screen you will shatter it. You will very probably cut your head. You may get glass splinters in your eyes (but because of their size ) probably not.

If you head butt a laminated screen you may have serious problems. The glass will not disintegrate as the plastic holds it together.

Your head will try to go through and make a head shaped depression in it.

When your head bounces back the plastic will grip and most likely cause significant damage.

WEAR your seat belt

Roger

I don't think head butting the screen is so much of a problem as wearing the steering column! :wacko:

The passenger on the other hand.....hhmmm! <_<

Edited by daven

The biggest disadvantage of a toughened glass screen is its shatterability(sic) if a stone or other projectile hits it, you end up going home with no screen rather then a cracked/chipped one. As has been stated,If it ain't broke etc.

Going home with no screen is not the problem, it's trying to stop safely with no visibility and eyes full of glass splinters, made worse by the howling gale. Don't ask me how I know...

Also, you'll be finding slivers of glass in the car for ever more.

Pete

Going home with no screen is not the problem, it's trying to stop safely with no visibility and eyes full of glass splinters, made worse by the howling gale. Don't ask me how I know...

Also, you'll be finding slivers of glass in the car for ever more.

Pete

Yes ,quite, and a fresh shower every time the demisters are used(although given the weakness of the TR blower motor not sure that is to much of a problem.

Thank you everybody for your views. Hell, it's only money, I'll go for the Triplex. I would be very annoyed with myself if I fitted a repro and it leaked.

Thank you everybody for your views. Hell, it's only money, I'll go for the Triplex. I would be very annoyed with myself if I fitted a repro and it leaked.

PM me your email address and I can send you a comprehensive set of fitting instructions to change the screen.

Stuart.

Make sure if you purchase a new windscreen that the supplier is selling the correct one for the specific car.There are two different types available, But you only will notice the difference when fitting them,

The screens were also fitted to Spitfires and GT6. The 2 types differ a little bit in the roundings at the corners. As result one type will not properly seal at the corners.

I' m convienced that some screenor parts suppliers stock all Triumph screens on the same shelf... and it depends on the man collecting the screen to pick up the correct one... :(

Stuart will know if it's the early or late Spitfire/GT6 screen you need.

Make sure if you purchase a new windscreen that the supplier is selling the correct one for the specific car.There are two different types available, But you only will notice the difference when fitting them,

The screens were also fitted to Spitfires and GT6. The 2 types differ a little bit in the roundings at the corners. As result one type will not properly seal at the corners.

I' m convienced that some screenor parts suppliers stock all Triumph screens on the same shelf... and it depends on the man collecting the screen to pick up the correct one... :(

Stuart will know if it's the early or late Spitfire/GT6 screen you need.

Its for a TR3 Jean so only the one.

Stuart.

Sorry Stuart, according to his post I was convienced he was speeking about his pimento TR6... :(

Yep your right sorry, its his avatar pic that confused the grey cells!

Stuart.