Freeing up Injection Inlet Manifold spindles

Hi Guys,

I have a set of Injction inlet Manifolds that are very carboned up with jammed spindles/butterfly's.

I have had them soaking in diesel for a month and nothing is freeing off. Ive also used penetrating oil but nothing seems to work. I've tried turning the spindles but too much force will twist them.

Any ideas how best to free up the spindles ? Which chemical would be suitable and readily available that might dislove the carbon and maybe release them. Thought about heating them in the family oven when she who must be obeyed is out. I guess the alloy body will expand more than the brass spindles which may release them. Probably too risky as I wont get away with it owing the smell that's bound to be generated and then I will be subjected to heat !!

Thanks

Rich

Hi Rich,

the spindle can seize in three areas, but normally only one or two are the culprit.

By turning the spindle with force keeping the spindle in the elastic are you can get

the impression where it is. Keep the plates in place.

Than heat the area with a gas heater or maybe use two of them.

Heat aluminium hard, it will do no harm.

From time to time grip the lever and try to turn spindle.

When it gets loose turn it several times forward backward.

After that switch the heater off and spray some Caramba into

the bearing area where it seized.

Than remove the plates and try to pull the spindle out.

Now turning the spindle is difficult, it will break suddenly.

Get yer self some ATF, and thinners, or Acetone.

mix it 50 / 50, an bung it in a tin, or buckit, wid a lid on,

or it,ll evapourate away

leave to soak for a while

If ye can owk the blakin plug oot the other side,

then a gentle tap either side helps too, dont go too hard, as shaft is fragile wid the butterflys oot

If butterflys still in, then slcken screws off, there still a wee wee bit of movement, but be carfull

no to over doo it, wid screws oot, there moer play.

muchess better than every thing else, even proprietry stuff ont market.

Note, if they been reallly stuk, then there a good chance that the ally, or the brass ev been took off

so most likely there alott of play

Can sleeve shafts, an ream the bodies

As Andreas says, heat will help,, but heat and tightness generally = galled up metal,!!!, be carefull

M

Edited by GT6M

Oven cleaner?

Or, if you are feeling lucky, consider that the deposits are carbon or hydrocarbon, which will burn.

Heat it with a propane torch, until the carbon starts to burn like embers and blow it into flame with compressed air until it's all burnt away.

Have fun!

John

Oven cleaner?

Or, if you are feeling lucky, consider that the deposits are carbon or hydrocarbon, which will burn.

Heat it with a propane torch, until the carbon starts to burn like embers and blow it into flame with compressed air until it's all burnt away.

Have fun!

John

Cooooolll!

I'm going down the breakers tomorrow to buy an old inlet manifold!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rich, if you are still struggling, try 'Oven Pride' oven cleaner.
It is one that is not caustic, so (hopefully) wont eat the alloy.
Try a small item first, but may be worth a go!!??

It worked wonders on my filthy BBQ rack!!

Came up like new!

Thanks John and others,

Tried the heating with a propane torch, but still no movement. Will try 'Oven Pride' cleaner as suggested. I did have some concern with the caustic nature of oven cleaner but this looks better. Hopefully this will clean up the carbon build up, not sure if it will free the presumed slight corrosion between the brass spindles and alloy body which I guess is what is stopping the spindle rotation.

The method of igniting the carbon and using air under pressure to create a blow torch seems too drastic and I would think there would be a good chance of distorting the butterfly's and well as the spindles.

Mollassis as suggested by Stuart will be the next option if I can find out where to buy some!

These are a spare set so I have so no rush to overcome the problem.

Cheers

Rich

*I thought the carbon build up improves the sealing of the closed butterflies.*

Another urban myth.

Carelessness in carbon removal was its origin, I'd think.

Remove the four butterfly screws, set the manifold in a vice, bell crank side up, apply copious Plus-Gas & heat, then lever the bell crank upwards with a couple of small pry bars.

This way, you'll avoid compressing the spindle by tapping it. Do not start twisting until all three journals give.