North Wales Early May

Re golf:I would highly recommend you play Royal St Davids and Aberdovey. If you want you can actually take the coast train from one to the other with you Clubs and the view is great along the line.Royal St Davids founded 1894 is part parkland part links and very good. Aberdovey founded 1892 and much loved by Bernard Darwin is a classic links nine out nine back along a strip between railway line and beach and for what it is worth, in my opinion, one of the best links in Britain. As you are from Keith you will know Nairn well.Its that sort of golf.Just make sure you take waterproofs not showerproofs! Fun is guaranteed.

Tom

Mike ~

Here's a photo of Llanberis lake with mount Snowdon (3560 Ft) in the right upper corner

with her head in the clouds! On a clear day it is well worth taking the little rack railway train

to the summit. It's win or lose if there are no clouds! Every year there is a race up and down

Snowdon. I got out of breath just sitting on the train!

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

Perhaps you should take Neil's advice and not visit Wales as according to him you are not welcome!!! :(

I wonder how he gets on in Germany, France, Italy and Spain etc where they also speak their native language??

(or are they allowed to???).

As far as Caernarfon Victoria Dock is concerned. Welsh people cannot afford luxury yachts etc

and the mooring charges are the cheapest in the UK hence most of the moorings belong to

people who don't live here!

Tom.

PS: As far as I'm concerned "We'll Keep a Welcome to you All" :D

Edited by Fireman049

Perhaps you should take Neil's advice and not visit Wales as according to him you are not welcome!!! :(

I wonder how he gets on in Germany, France, Italy and Spain etc where they also speak their native language??

(or are they allowed to???).

As far as Caernarfon Victoria Dock is concerned. Welsh people cannot afford luxury yachts etc

and the mooring charges are the cheapest in the UK hence most of the moorings belong to

people who don't live here!

Tom.

PS: As far as I'm concerned "We'll Keep a Welcome to you All" :D

Tom

It is a fantastic part of the world and all should go, just pointing out what we found when boating there for years you just have to careful the tinter web will tell you all.

Hi Mike ~

I hope that my little input has been of some help to you? :)

Don't forget ~ You're always welcome in Wales despite the slagging off by certain individuals

who seem to have an inferiority complex! :wacko:

It bloody well annoys me that it's only Wales that gets slagged off ~ never Southern Ireland or Scotland ~

but then we're only a soft Welsh Nation (born to serve!!) aren't we? :(

I sincerely feel that I belong to an Anti Welsh car Club!!

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

Hi Mike ~

I hope that my little input has been of some help to you? :)

Don't forget ~ You're always welcome in Wales despite the slagging off by certain individuals

who seem to have an inferiority complex! :wacko:

It bloody well annoys me that it's only Wales that gets slagged off ~ never Southern Ireland or Scotland ~

but then we're only a soft Welsh Nation (born to serve!!) aren't we? :(

Tom.

Tom, The Sons of Owain Glyndwr made a big impact in the '70s by torching holiday cottages. In retrospect they may have saved North Wales from the fate of places like the North Norfolk coast, which is dead apart from a few summer months, as Londoners bought up holiday homes. Whole villages died. Too much tourism would ruin NWales. I can see a business imperative, but the coast of Anglesey is now covered with thousands of mobile homes. I agree with you that Wales and the Welsh are friendly and welcoming, but its looking like the price paid will be at the expense of its quiet beauty.

And empty roads :) :) (apart from the A55)

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Hi Peter ~

As someone who had a lot to do with the incidents of burning of second homes. I totally agree with you.

That Labour cow Bessie Braddock of Liverpool jumped into bed with the Conservatives and had the

​Tryweryn Valley flooded for the benefit of Liverpool with no recompense for Wales!

I just give up ~ Wales is the last Colony!

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

Hi Roger ~

I entered this subject in good faith. I only wanted to help fellow Forum members. Don't blame me for being 'inconvenient'! Perhaps it would be better if all my assistance was removed then everybody would be happy.

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

Tom and Mike

I have ridden all the Little Trains Of Wales except the Snowdon one as that day it was closed due to the weather.

I liked all those cute narrow gauge locos for their looks but you can´t beat the Garretts from Natal for

power, oh! having said that, the West Highland line was not there when we rode the little trains one year on a visit from S. Africa.

Cheer up Tom Wednesday is St. David´s Day, never mind Peter! you´re only an interloper living in Wales I think you told me, but have good one anyway.

Hasta Luego (Till we meet again in other words.)

BTW Spanish people are very friendly particularly if you try to speak their lingo, even just a few words breaks the ice.

Dave

Hi Everybody,

I am a 75 year old Lancashire lad and I have lived in North Wales in the Vale of Ffestiniog for the last 16 years. In that time my wife and I have met some of the nicest people ever. From my window I can see areas that would be inundated with visitors if they were in the Lake District. Peter is correct when he says that Wales would be spoiled by too many visitors.

On Sunday mornings we can drive on some fabulous roads locally and not see another car for 30 minutes or more.

As regards the various narrow railway systems, It seems to me that it is generally the English that have taken them over and very often have ridden rough-shod over the local people and their properties.

I can, from my experience here, certainly see Tom's point of view.

A good example is that if any English person miss-pronounced the name of a French town of Province they would be ridiculed mercilessly yet they quite happily (and in some cases deliberately) miss-pronounce the names of Welsh places as though it is their right to do so.

Wales should be given the respect that it is entitled to.

Regards, Colin

Tom

A double headed Garrett train, that should have enough power to get up Snowdon.

There is a book called "Steam on the Veld" and the cover picture is a triple headed Garrett train but they are standard S. African gauge locos (3FT.6") and I think they were 4-8-2 2-8-4,s GMAM type, now there was steam on the veld.

Colin

Welsh names are not the only ones the English, Scots and Irish miss pronounce, I have yet to hear one say MOJACAR properly here in Spain they all say (phonetically) MO HACKA. and make no attempt to get it right. It took me some time to get my mouth around DOLGELLAU properly.

Dave