Bleeding brakes question

Evening all,

Thought i'd bleed my brakes as the pedal travel seemed excessive before the brakes pads bit. Hooked up the Gunson Ezybleed at about 10 psi, checked for leaks, none found, so filled up bottle with Dot 4 brake fluid. Reconnected pressure and the bottle started to empty. Cue lots of running around trying to find where the fluid was going but everything completely dry. No leaking anywhere. The bottle got to about a 1/4 then stopped emptying itself. I waited for a few minutes but all seemed well so carried on bleeding the brakes. Pedal now feels great but I'm not sure how the system could take so much fluid as the reservoir was full when i started.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Mal

Perhaps the pushrod/servo/m-c piston were not fully relaxing even with no pressure on the pedal. The bleeders pressure has now taken up that slack. Just a guess...

Peter

About 300ml but then stopped and has been fine since, although I've not been out on the road yet. Is there an easy way to check the servo for fluid?

Cheers

Mal

300ml ! - its not the slack in the piston/pushrod.

Look for fluid dripping onto the carpet off the pushrod.

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Brakes/Servo/Servo.htm

Dont run the engine - if all 300ml are in the servo the fluid will 'lacquer' the bores/rings if it gets sucked into the engine.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Hi Mal.

My booster had 200+ mls of fluid in it when I stripped it a couple of months back (you can see the tide mark in the photo). In my case the MC had been professionally recon'd with a stainless sleeve, but the clowns hadn't cleaned rust from the seal groove (or grooves - I sent it to another repairer to diagnose and rectify) allowing fluid to track through the inner bore of the seal(s) and get sucked into the booster. The previous owner must have wondered where all the fluid was going, but never mentioned it as an issue (but to be fair, he did mention a lot of other issues though).

When I found the problem (just after buying the car) fluid was leaking between the MC and booster and dripping onto the new paint below with the inevitable damage this causes.

If it doesn't leak out there, then I believe it will eventually leak out the back of the booster and into the footwell.

post-14246-0-14571500-1487792568_thumb.jpg

Gavin

Mal,

Incentivised testing needed.

fill reservoir to point that you can check. Get can of lager and sit in car, start engine sit in car and push brake pedal bl@@dy hard and hold for 20 seconds, release pedal. Open beer and take modest swig. repeat until all beer gone, perhaps 40 cycles.

Turn engine off, and check fluid level, it should not have moved, not even a nat's.

If the level has dropped then it's leaking.

Alan