Fitting new Moss soft top

Hi Guys,

Just preparing to fit a new Moss soft top once the weather warms up. Seems like a good product.

However, as my frame has been stripped and repainted and has no webbing attached (bought like this), I wonderd if anybody could measure an original hood frame and give me a dimension of the rear hoop to the centre fixed hoop.

This dimension is impertant as the Moss hood has a zipped rear windor with a flap with 5 pop studs that are secured to the mating part on the hoop. If this hoop position is not right then the rear window will not be stretched taught.

The article in the Buckeye Triumph does give a dimension but this does not seem to fit with the seams between the rear and centre hoops which is 10 inches? The top being fitted in this article is of American manufacure and may not be the same as Moss.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Rich

Thanks John. Next trick.

Having stretched out the top (over 20 degrees outside my south facing gararage today!) whats the best way to mark the position for glueing of the stretched hood to the front bar? Its not posible to mark the underside so I presume you have to mark the rear edge where it can be felt through the top with chalk and hope that this accurate enough when the hood frame is released so that glue can be applied. Seems fraught with possible error? Is there a better way.

I made up a couple of clamps and fixed them to the surplus hood material at the front, and used a couple of cargo straps hooked to the front cross member to gradually stretch the hood. Worked well. If anybody would like the clamps for free let me know. Tried to attache a photo but file too big cn send by e-mail.

Cheers

Rich

Braver man than me fitting a soft top outside in mid Feb.

Could have done it down here today no problem, lovely warm day.

Stuart.

Braver man than me fitting a soft top outside in mid Feb.

I am with Neil I did mine in a heated garage and waited until April before I started! If its cold and the fabric is stiff you will not get it right. I spent a whole day offering up and measuring before I was sure I had got everything positioned correctly. I think the key is to make sure the frame is right (good joints, everything working) before you start.

But it is a lot easier than fitting a Herald convertible roof.....

Mike

Yes Stuart, it was alovely day down south in our part of the world yesterday and the hood material warmed up nicely.

Back to my question :unsure: What is the best way to mark accurately both on the inside and the outside of the front rail?

With the hood material pulled down over the windscreen, there's no gap to chalk a line along the front and inside its worse.

If there is no definite marked line, how are you supposed to reposition for glueing once the header rail is unclipped?

Thanks Rich

When I did mine I used Dressmakers Chalk all marked from the Outside.

Yep thats the usual way or a Chinagraph pencil.

Stuart.

Hi Guys,

Took a while to get there, but I came to the same method as Neil yesterday that with the frame header in the just caught position, but fully locked down, gives better access to mark the front underside of the hood after stretching.

Thanks

Rich