Clutch Slave Cylinder

I have seen some conflicting thread pics of clutch slave cylinder mountings, some with the cyl flange in front of the mounting plate and some behind. I mounted mine in front, my thinking was that all loading is pushing on the plate, if mounted behind the load is on the nuts.

As to the workability of the cylinder I suppose it doesn't matter, does anyone have any other ideas of the preferred position.

Paul

Hi Paul,

This Moss WebCat shows the cylinder at the front of the attachment plate. I'm sure this is the same as mine.

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/clutch-systems/girling-clutch-hydraulics-tr4-4a.html

If you fit it the other way then the push rod may have issues.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I can't see that it really matters, I did shorten my push rod to allow a better set up when fitting it to the front of the plate, seems to work ok so will leave alone, have also fitted a return spring.

As you pointed out Roger the Moss catalogue picture shows the cyl flange behind the plate, then Buckeyes set up is in front as mine. Not sure if the link will work.

Paul

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/clutch/ReleaseBearing/ReleaseBearingWoes.htm

Hi Paul,

I think you may have your front/behind about face.

The Moss picture shows the cylinder in the front (nearer the front of the car).

As mentioned it doesn't matter as long as it fits and works.

However if fitted on the rear face of the attachment plate you will need to remove the Hydraulic pipe to lace it through.

Not a problem usually

Roger

And it's well known that workshop manual illustrations must not be used as fitting guide, but consider only as what they are, ie illustrations......

The Triumph Workshop Manual shows the cylinder mounted on the front of the plate i.e. nearer the front of the car.

Ian Cornish

I'm sure the confusion arises because the side-screen WSM shows the slave cylinder on the rear of the plate whilst the TR4/4A manual shows it on the front.

I've never had a problem with either arrangement, so given the thickness/stiffness of the plate, does it really matter?

Why does my pushrod only line up with the lower hole? I ran it in the middle hole for 2 years and made significant wear on the lower face of the internal slave cylinder. because of the angle of the rod

Is it possible that I have the wrong lever from a different model. At the moment I will be using the lower hole unless there is a better answer?

Thanks Richard & H. :)

Hi Richard,

a couple of years back I noticed that my push rod was acting at an angle.

The clevis aligned with the lever middle hole OK but was sidways adrift.

I made a new plate for the cylinder to attach to with the central big hole in the right place.

Roger

Hi Richard,

a couple of years back I noticed that my push rod was acting at an angle.

The clevis aligned with the lever middle hole OK but was sidways adrift.

I made a new plate for the cylinder to attach to with the central big hole in the right place.

Roger

Well Roger that's the very reason I had a second look at the fitting of mine today, my clevice was actually in line with the centre hole height but if unconnected was about 1/4" off centre. My clevice was actually far too wide so I made a new one and then aligned the clutch arm to it with a little persuasion. Looks much better and functions correctly.

Paul

So Triumph got it wrong? don't think so.

No Neil not saying Triumph got it wrong, my clutch arm wasn't in line with the clevice and needed straightening or realigning a little.

Paul

Interesting.

The plate on both the 4 and 4A are the same and put the body of the cylinder apprx 1/4" out.

I've sorted the 4A but haven't bothered with the 4 yet.

Perhaps the TR6 had been sorted.

Roger

Roger

A thought was the plate different IE a 3 with pull spring fitted?

Hi Neil,

The TR2 has its own shape for Lockheed cylinder.

The TR3A, 4 & 4A have another shape - Girling cylinder

The TR6 has another shape again

Why is the TR6 different to the TR4/4A when it is basically the same components used. Could they have ccorrected the slight mis-alignment at this point.

Roger

post-11421-0-65968200-1486962668_thumb.png

Hi Paul

Attached picture may help?

You can see mine here:

http://tr4a.weebly.com/clutch-slave-cylinder.html

Best.

Paul.

attachicon.gif1452024931.png

Hi Paul

Attached picture may help?

You can see mine here:

http://tr4a.weebly.com/clutch-slave-cylinder.html

Best.

Paul.

Hi Paul I was using your site for reference and also Buckeye which conflicts, obviously your set up is based on the Triumph manual and we should assume is the correct method, however all loading when clutching is on the two nuts and flange ears which in my opinion is a possible weakness, by fitting the cylinder on the other side the load compresses the cyl flange on the plate and makes a stronger base altogether.

My other problem was a 1/4" misalignment with the clutch arm which I have corrected now by arm realignment.

Don't think it really matters either way just us Cornish have a belt and braces attitude to engineering.

I have regularly used your site for reference throughout the restoration, it's been a real boon, the forum has answered many problems and when really stuck Stuart is always willing to oblige.

Almost there now, completed rear firewall now interior trim and bumpers to complete, though I dare say there will always be something to do.

Thank you all

Paul

Hi Paul,

those two bolts attaching the cylinder are more than strong enough for the job.

If you want to worry have a look at the taper pin holding the clutch fork in place.

Roger

PS - having the cylinder at the forward face of the attachment plate gives a longer distance for the push rod to work over thus improving alignment.

Edited by RogerH

Hi Paul,

If you want to worry have a look at the taper pin holding the clutch fork in place.

Roger

PS - having the cylinder at the forward face of the attachment plate gives a longer distance for the push rod to work over thus improving alignment.

Hi Roger

Yes no doubt the bolts are more than capable but it doesn't make it a good engineering practice, no hydraulic cyl should be mounted allowing the bolt heads/nuts to take the load.

The taper pin is another very poor design which underlines the fact that triumph did not always get it right, the clutch operation in my opinion is a bit of a pigs ear, but it works and has done for many years, a few mods can only improve it as we have all been doing.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Roger

I have been giving this a little more thought Roger, as your PS message with the cylinder further away it would improve the misalignment angle somewhat, is it possible this is the reason Triumph decided to fit the cylinder in this position, but surely if it was a common fault they would have re designed the bracket plate.

Not content with realigning my clutch fork I have removed the cylinder again.

If anyone else finds their alignment wrong there is quite an easy fix, there is enough clearance in the cyl bracket hole to align the cyl and drill another hole, in my case the misalignment was 1/2".

This new position has not altered the height of the clevice significantly.post-13797-0-74844800-1487071732_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Paul J