Tonneau fitting with Roll Bar (3a)

Hi All.

My Revington TR roll bar arrived this week.

Not fitted as yet.

I'm looking for advice and tips on how to fit the tonneau cover.

Pictures would be really useful to guide me in where to cut.

And how to close/fasten these cut openings.

My existing tonneau is a good vinyl type with lift dot fastening.

To help me does anyone have a black tonneau they wish to sell ?

I rarely use the soft top and drive with tonneau on. (Apart from the drivers seat !!!!????)

Thanks in advance

H

Hamish, my tonneau is bespoke; as is the roll bar so I'm not sure that the attached photos will be much use. Except to show the principles of fitting round the bars. I have to say that the use of velcro around the bars is slightly optimistic in terms of waterproofing added to which the tonneau dips down around the bars so that a nice drainage channel is formed straight into the rear footwell. Having said all that it is pretty neat and easy to take off if necessary (it tends to stay on and get stuffed down behind the seats). The tonneau came with the car, the PO having had it altered to suit when he fitted the home-made roll bar.

post-13503-0-06529700-1486893439_thumb.jpg

post-13503-0-92662800-1486893462_thumb.jpg

post-13503-0-11329600-1486893491_thumb.jpg

The nylon zip is very tough and pretty waterproof. Down here on the south coast I would be tempted to go to a ships chandler if I wanted something similar done as lots of small boats have similar arrangements which probably need to be more waterproof that a TR3!!

post-13503-0-31471600-1486893515_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ben. It all helps. As it's the fitting round the bars that I need to work out.

You are right about boat sailmakers etc. By dad is on the south coast of Devon. And it always going to them for these types of things

I have to be honest I didn't even consider the long zip option !!

I was thinking along the lines of fitting the tonneau in the middle front to back and working my way out. Cutting the tonneau from the bar points out to the edge.

It looks like I'll need professional sewing help. I have used this chap before and is very good http://cheshirecartrim.co.uk

But it's aka ways easier to show him examples of what I mean.

Keep posting everybody. I am sure I can pinch ideas and in combination make it work.

Thank you

H

Ps thanks Jean.

I think the yellow version works very well.

I suppose it depends on the roll bar arrangement.

I have this due to go in

post-14544-0-64616500-1486898420_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hamish

Ben and Hamish... I never did expect that the tonneau would be water proof.. for me is more or less a kind of protection against dust and nasty people dropping garbage into the car.

For weather protection I would look towards a small tarpaulin that you can stretch over the top, fixed by rubber bands to the wheel arches.

They are even available for modern convertibles as winter protection

Jean, agree regarding waterproofing. That is what we do (a lightweight, easily stowable 100% waterproof cover).

The TR6 solution is much neater although mine and Hamish's roll bars have two bars to encircle. I can see a hybrid or the two systems working though Hamish!!

• 1 month later...

Hi

As I asked the question so I thought I would share the outcome.

A local trimmer in Macclesfield Cheshire Car Trim altered my existing tonneau to close around my new roll bar.

I know that it won't be fully weather proof but will allow me to close the car up when parked. And close the rear and the passenger area when I'm out by myself.

I have rigard seats with headrests now but decided it's easier to remove the headrests than alter the tonneau to fit them as well.

I'm pleased and it wasn't expensive.

Thanks for the pointers that I showed the chap and helped him formulate a plan.

H

post-14544-0-38603200-1490718975_thumb.jpg

post-14544-0-46912600-1490719041_thumb.jpg

post-14544-0-82953100-1490719081_thumb.jpg