Engine block colour

Hi

I'm having my TR3A put back together after chassis and bodywork repair and the mechanics are being reassembled too. The mechanic convinced me to paint the engine and reluctantly I accepted. Now, I am very distressed as I liked the way it was, and now I have a bright, shiny black engine which I hate.

If I ask him to try to get rid of his paint with a thinner, I expect the original paint will come off too. That leaves me with the possibility of spaying the engine again with a matt black paint. He even painted the sump! Is it supposed to be painted?

Advice?

Edited by qim
Could splash some used engine oil round if you like that used look

You mean to get rid of the shiny look?

I certainly do not like the "new" look. It is an old car. It should be clean and rust-free, but it should look the part. I could have a face-lift too, to appear 20 years younger but like what I see in the mirror: a long, interesting history, which I cherish!

I would not worry, it won't stay "shiny" for very long.

It's pretty normal to paint an engine before re-installing, & you don't see much of it once it is in.

post-12009-0-82310000-1486541888_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-31758000-1486541939_thumb.jpg

Bob.

Hi Qim,

don't panic - the new paint will fade/wear with all the engine heat and dust that is blown through.

And as Bob says you can't see that much when it is fully built.

It needs a protective coating on it otherwise it will go seriously rusty - and that looks awful.

Both the block and sump were painted gloss black as original - that also faded fairly quickly.

If you don;t lift the bonnet and simply keep it driving you will never see it.

Roger

i dont think this is worth your worries / energy.

Besides the looks, its easier to keep everything clean, the more dust it gathers, there will be moist, will be rust in the end.

Like said before, you wont see the engine anymore when everything is back in your engine compartment.

8eYM3pYXtBHheqQVNnVH46plb9c8UEEftngCeuLu

I wouldn't worry about it. My engine was painted shiny black. It dulls off a bit once it's got hot a few times and it's mostly hidden by everything around it. After a short while it will be covered in dust and road film etc.

Personally, I would have been disappointed if the mechanic hadn't painted it. I was very pleased to see it painted when I got the photos. After all, it's a bugger to sort out once it's back in the car.