Hi all

Ive read somewhere that you have to restrict the bypass hose..is that correct?

Ive a standard type 88 degree stat fitted

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony ~

If you've got a 'bellows' type thermostat fitted there is no need to put a restrictor in the by-pass outlet.

If you've got a non-bellows thermostat then you'll need to fit a restrictor.

This is how I did it in my 3A.

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

Hi all

Ive read somewhere that you have to restrict the bypass hose..is that correct?

Ive a standard type 88 degree stat fitted

Thanks

Tony

88 Is a bit high for summer use. 86 more appropriate. TBH I have never bothered with a restrictor and havent noticed any difference. Just make sure that whichever thermostat you use has a bleed hole and fit that uppermost.

Stuart.

Stuart.

Hi Tony ~

If you've got a 'bellows' type thermostat fitted there is no need to put a restrictor in the by-pass outlet.

Tom.

attachicon.gifDSCF2234 - Copy.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF2228 - Copy - Copy.JPG

To expand on Tom's answer, The original setup intended for these cars is no restriction in the bypass circuit, but a thermostat which has a sleeve which moves as the water gets hot to cover over the bypass port in the thermostat housing. As far as I know these "sleeved" thermostats were always the bellows type. They are still available.

Bob.

There are also many available NOS, Always seen some at the autojumbles at the internationals, & at Brooklands etc.

Bob.

PS & they are usually a lot less than £70 !

Edited by Lebro

Tractor autojumbles often yield them too as they were also standard fitting on grey Fergies and a whole range of that era commercials.

Stuart.

You want to search eBay for something like this.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/130875523975?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20150313114020&meid=fb53db9c1d1b40d2affd9e917a75d889&pid=100338&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=112275464945&_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_mwBanner=1

You just need to check the temp range on them.

Bedford tk uses similar

Sellers seem to price according to vehicle. So the jag one is double the price. But the same thing.

They are about

H

Edited by Hamish

Hi Tony ~

Tom.

DSCF2234 - Copy.JPG

DSCF2228 - Copy - Copy.JPG

I have always had a problem getting my 4A to run hot enough, even without a radiator duct fitted and with a 91 deg C stat fitted all year round. In winter months I frequently resort in addition to blanking off the lower half of the radiator. Some years ago I picked up an original bellows type stat for £3 at an autojumble to try out but if anything it made the car run even cooler so I switched back to the conventional type stat. I had read of the possible beneficial effect of a by pass restrictor and made up a suitable item but never got round to fitting it. I will try it and report back.

Tim

+1 that's usually the idea ! Most TR owners have TRouble with overheating, not under heating.

If it seems to be running cold, even with a known good thermostat, then I would want to check the temperature gauge.

Bob.

Sorry, but that example does not have the important sleeve

Bob.

Thanks for pointing that out. It's not something I'd noticed.

H