Non Standard Seat Fitting

BB1%20White.jpg
  • Colour- Black with White Piping
  • Classic Style Seat Ideal for all Classic Cars, Hot Rods, Kit Cars etc...
  • A High Quality Seat, Much Better Than Similar Seats On the Market!
  • Very Comfortable Design
  • Runners available from £15 per seat (See bottom of Page)
  • Measurements:
  • Width Across Base= 50cm Width Across Backrest= 51cm
  • Depth (inc back rest tilt)= 66cm
  • Height= 60cm
  • Mounting Points= 34.5cm x 28.5cm (standard for most makes of seat)

C

Hi all - does anybody have any knowledge as to whether these seats will fit in a 4A? They are supplied by BB Classics but they can't confirm. I imagine the seat runners will have to be modified but I'm more concerned as to whether their physical size precludes their use - unfortunately I'm not near my cars so I cant check measurements.

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers

Rich

Rich,

My seats are not exactly the same, but very similar. These photos will show how well they look in the TR. Suffering with a bad back I chose them for their comfort and having covered 3,500 miles last year on the European tour I can confirm they are excellent. Furthermore I wanted seats to stay below my tonnaux cover, and look classic. I'm not a fan of the MX5 option. My seats are fitted to the standard TR runners and so are adjustable. To do this I simply made a pair of "U" shaped brackets bolted to the underside of the seat, then passed a longish bolt through the "U" and the hole of the seat runner. In the rear seat mounting holes I have bolted rubber ferruls designed for walking sticks. These sit on the rear of the standard TR seat runner. The seats cock forward like normal. If adjusted back too far the backs conflict with the hood sticks when down, otherwise there are no issues. Ian's comment regarding your posterior is a serious one due to the solid seat sides.

John

post-7785-0-78491400-1486573414_thumb.jpg

post-7785-0-53997400-1486573441_thumb.jpg

post-7785-0-90731800-1486573465_thumb.jpg

Edited by 8iggles

Hi rsanford

From the original post the seats are from BB Classics. They are a big eBay seller from what I have noticed on eBay.

Rich

Having looked at seat changes for my 3a and been lucky enough to find a pair of rigard seats that are a fixed back removable headrest bucket style. Space is tight between door and prop shaft /gearbox tunnel. Also if they slide can be tight between inner wing to the rear (fully Back) and the gearbox cover fully forward.

Needs careful marking out with seat and runners.

They are a snug people fit too. I think its one of those purchases that you need to try before you buy. I'm obviously keeping the original seats.

Best of luck

H

post-14544-0-91353800-1486626192_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hamish

Rich,

My seats are not exactly the same, but very similar. These photos will show how well they look in the TR. Suffering with a bad back I chose them for their comfort and having covered 3,500 miles last year on the European tour I can confirm they are excellent. Furthermore I wanted seats to stay below my tonnaux cover, and look classic. I'm not a fan of the MX5 option. My seats are fitted to the standard TR runners and so are adjustable. To do this I simply made a pair of "U" shaped brackets bolted to the underside of the seat, then passed a longish bolt through the "U" and the hole of the seat runner. In the rear seat mounting holes I have bolted rubber ferruls designed for walking sticks. These sit on the rear of the standard TR seat runner. The seats cock forward like normal. If adjusted back too far the backs conflict with the hood sticks when down, otherwise there are no issues. Ian's comment regarding your posterior is a serious one due to the solid seat sides.

John

attachicon.gifinterior from above.JPG

attachicon.gifdriver's door open.JPG

attachicon.gifrear seat and hood bag.JPG

John - thanks for your input - really helpful. Any chance you can post a photo of your seat runner modification - I think I understand what you have done - this presumably fixes the seat from a sideways point of view as I assume you are bolting each side separately through your "U" bracket into the adjacent front runner bracket ( the triangular bit with a hole in it for the original mounting bolt?)

As lateral movement seems fairly critical if the seats are a tight fit, which it looks like they will be, would a single, extra long bolt, going through both brackets work - this would allow the seat to self adjust laterally to the available space/width and once the best position found, then the bolt could be tightened up. Alternatively, you could leave it "floating" on the long bolt so that it could move sideways on the bolt when being tilted, to give a bit more room - not sure what the MOT man would say about it mind you!

Hamish

Have tried out a seat and found it to be very comfortable - it is planned to be part of my ongoing future weight limiting strategy so I always have to keep the TR - if I can't fit into it, then, and only then, might she have some small, but very limited grounds, to argue for it's dismissal!!! Could be in trouble now!

Cheers

Rich

Dear Rich,

Yes you've got it. There is no lateral movement of the seat because the seat runner holes butt up against the side of the "U" bracket (except for a spacer washer). i.e. the seat runner hole is not in the middle of the "U". I only used "U" brackets to maintain stability. I originally just made up "L" brackets (which would seam logical) but however much I tightened them I could not stop them turning. Your idea of using one long bolt (threaded rod?) is excellent and I think I will do this. It should aid installation.

The first photo shows the "U" bracket on the off side driver's seat. The second shows the bracket in situ and the rubber ferrule which determines the seat back rake; you just choose a larger/smaller ferrule.

John

post-7785-0-45791800-1486837653_thumb.jpgpost-7785-0-26849000-1486837669_thumb.jpg

Rich,

For your peace of mind I can tell you that ​I've done thousands of miles over the last 10 years with this set up with no issues what so ever.

This is a fact.

I do not understand the last two posts!

The choice is yours.

The smell of leather when you open the car door is a bonus..

John

Edited by 8iggles

For normal driving I suspect it would be OK however in the event of an accident I think the bolt would sheer with disastrous

consequences. I take it you have informed your insurance company of your modifications.

Stuart.

• 3 years later...
On 2/9/2017 at 8:02 PM, rcreweread said:

John - thanks for your input - really helpful. Any chance you can post a photo of your seat runner modification - I think I understand what you have done - this presumably fixes the seat from a sideways point of view as I assume you are bolting each side separately through your "U" bracket into the adjacent front runner bracket ( the triangular bit with a hole in it for the original mounting bolt?)

As lateral movement seems fairly critical if the seats are a tight fit, which it looks like they will be, would a single, extra long bolt, going through both brackets work - this would allow the seat to self adjust laterally to the available space/width and once the best position found, then the bolt could be tightened up. Alternatively, you could leave it "floating" on the long bolt so that it could move sideways on the bolt when being tilted, to give a bit more room - not sure what the MOT man would say about it mind you!

Hamish

Have tried out a seat and found it to be very comfortable - it is planned to be part of my ongoing future weight limiting strategy so I always have to keep the TR - if I can't fit into it, then, and only then, might she have some small, but very limited grounds, to argue for it's dismissal!!! Could be in trouble now!

Cheers

Rich

On 2/11/2017 at 6:32 PM, 8iggles said:

Dear Rich,

Yes you've got it. There is no lateral movement of the seat because the seat runner holes butt up against the side of the "U" bracket (except for a spacer washer). i.e. the seat runner hole is not in the middle of the "U". I only used "U" brackets to maintain stability. I originally just made up "L" brackets (which would seam logical) but however much I tightened them I could not stop them turning. Your idea of using one long bolt (threaded rod?) is excellent and I think I will do this. It should aid installation.

The first photo shows the "U" bracket on the off side driver's seat. The second shows the bracket in situ and the rubber ferrule which determines the seat back rake; you just choose a larger/smaller ferrule.

John

post-7785-0-45791800-1486837653_thumb.jpgpost-7785-0-26849000-1486837669_thumb.jpg

3 years on and I've been scratching my head to find a way to fit similar bucket seats whilst maintaining 'tilt'..........Thanks!

One of the many advantages of MX5 seats is the ability to tilt the backrest without having to hold the whole seat. Much better access for a large suitcase behind the seats on long trips. This is in addition to headrests with speakers in them, adjustable backrest angle and more solid construction. My only concern is the strength of the standard 7/16 mounting bolts. Has anyone come up with a stronger system? 

I have a similar set for sale in the under £250 section, they fit directly to the existing subframes - £50, okayish condition. I have the problem of proportion, i.e mine is different to the seats :)