A bit confused, I've started planning interior of my project, and can nowhere find green seats as standard (I've B.Piggots book among other sources) as my existing seats are. By the state they seem to be original. Also found the webbing for the hood frame and those are also dark green. Door trim is black. BMI Motor Heritage has no records but production date :(

Found some spots of BRG-like colour under 2 layers of red so that was probably the original body colour. Anyone know of early TR2:s in green/green? Picture of very dirty seat

seat_colour.jpg

Edited by ijonsson

When I restored my 1958 TR3A from 1987 to 1990, the original red was no longer available. The supplier suggested that I have the entire interior made of the correct colour - but it would all be in leather. He told me that you can get leather dyed to any colour you want. It will probably take about two hides. The colour match is perfect. The leather for the seats, the floor carpets and the door trim was all included in the same red.

post-1056-0-72510800-1485986716_thumb.jpg

post-1056-0-43438200-1485986774_thumb.jpg

post-1056-0-70012300-1485986829_thumb.jpg

Edited by Don Elliott

The pattern of your seats does not match any original

seats that I have seen.

If they look old - that just means they were retrimmed

a long time ago.

You need to check the original specification of your TR.

That will show the original colour of your trim.

It wasn't green!

Don's comment is interesting. We are talking back in

1986ish. Don's car had red trim, as did the TR3A that

I was restoring. Separately, we both sent matching red

trim colour samples to a supplier who arranged for the

correct colour to be custom dyed by Connolly.

You could do that back then - but not now.

Didn't cost that much extra - just had to wait a bit longer.

Since then, Don and I have been in contact - Don came

to see me in Hong Kong, where I was working, during

his vacation there.

AlanR

I think green/green look terrific together, and kinda wish I'd gone that direction when I put the new interior in my car. Very works-era Jaguar C/D type and DB3R.

Your seats no doubt have been reupholstered at some point. Here's an image of original seats in a long-door TS2XXXLO car.

i-Xzx6MST-X3.jpg

Thems Healey spite seats i thinks

Early ones do look very similar to TR2 ones but they wrap round you a little more and the lower frame is just that a frame not a pan, I have fitted them to a few TR`s as they are more comfortable. Trimmed correctly its hard to tell the difference.They are also a gnats wider so are a tight fit in a sidescreen car.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Looking at sites selling seat trim I actually think they are Healey seats, I just thought that the springs simply was replaced with foam, but now it makes sense. Lucky I didn't go spending £600 on a trim set for TR2 :) . Anyone got a picture of the frame under the seat cushion, or does a Healey Sprite seat it look like this?

seat_cushion_frame.jpg

Edited by ijonsson

For the Sprite ones there is a flat bar frame that fits to the runners with the backs fixed to that and then the base fits onto that but the bases you have defintely arent TR

Stuart.

For the Sprite ones there is a flat bar frame that fits to the runners with the backs fixed to that and then the base fits onto that but the bases you have defintely arent TR

Stuart.

The flat bar frame is hidden below the upside down cushion. I've searched the net for images and I'm quit convinced they are Sprite seats. Thanks for the tip "mjdearing"!

The flat bar frame is hidden below the upside down cushion. I've searched the net for images and I'm quit convinced they are Sprite seats. Thanks for the tip "mjdearing"!

TBH unless you really want to go for originality I would just get them re-trimmed in TR2 style as they are much more comfortable than the originals for anything longer than local trips.

Stuart.

TBH unless you really want to go for originality I would just get them re-trimmed in TR2 style as they are much more comfortable than the originals for anything longer than local trips.

Stuart.

Yes, I was worried about comfort so thanks for your experience. I swapped the seats in my TR6 for Miata seats for comfort reasons. I was even thinking trying the old TR6 seats in the TR2, but I think I'll go for the frames I've got and re-trim them as you suggest, they look a bit more "period".

Yes, I was worried about comfort so thanks for your experience. I swapped the seats in my TR6 for Miata seats for comfort reasons. I was even thinking trying the old TR6 seats in the TR2, but I think I'll go for the frames I've got and re-trim them as you suggest, they look a bit more "period".

Just put a little more padding in for your lower back area for lumbar support and you will find them very comfy for a small seat..

Stuart.

• 1 month later...

So, here is the finished product. Quite happy about the outcome, only a couple creases in the backrest due to the extra padding for lumbar support but I think I can take that and prefer the better support, maybe the creases will vanish when the seats are used a bit.

http://www.ijonsson.se/tr2/photo_diary.php?day=interior&folder=interior&id=IMG_2692

thinking about that this is what I started with

http://www.ijonsson.se/tr2/photo_diary.php?day=interior&folder=interior&id=IMG_2508

Edited by ijonsson