Whos Got Captive Nuts?

Hi All

My 250 is nearing completion but there is nothing to grab hold of to close the door. I've purchased the plastic door capping's, but am not sure whether I want to fit them.

I believe the original detail would have been chrome pull handles and can see on the internal metal skin of the door are two square holes, where I assume plastic captive nuts clip in and then the handles are screwed to these.

If this is correct, does anyone have 4 I could purchase please?

I've tried Rimmers, TRBitz and Moss, but no luck so far.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Roger

Thank you.

I always wondered what it would feel like to be wrong about something and its not as bad as I feared!!

I'll have a rummage round and also put my thinking cap on to see what I come up with.

Cheers

Martyn

The chromed door pull handles were discontinued at end of 4a production hence why the 250/5 has the door pull incorporated in the capping. The captives have been NLS for years but the alternative can be the Landrover type of plastic insert, I dont have a part number but Im sure someone will.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

I'm pretty sure the 250/5 wouldn't have had the chrome handles as these were deleted in favour of the moulded door top pulls.

That's not to say you shouldn't fit them, depending on your originality outlook.

Jerry

Is the square hole in the door frame 13/32" square?

If so you are in luck as FC2804 would probably do it. Like Stuart I have used the plastic things from Land Rover previously as I had a few in the drawer.-still have in fact, but they need cutting to fit as they are extended length.

http://www.bresco.com/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?page=search&SS=FC2804+&PR=-1&TB=O&ACTION=Go%21

Cheers

Peter W

Hi chaps

Thank you all for your input.

My car was far from original when I bought it, having been converted to rhd. I've now fitted PI plus a TR6 head and cam, MX5 seats and all leather interior in tan. I'll be fitting ss beadings on the wings. I've fitted minilite style knock on wheels, removed the bumpers and am fitting Cibie spots and fogs. I always change my cars to suit me and don't go much with originality, although don't go too outlandish. I keep the parts I take off in case I sell in the future and someone wants original detail, but it suits my taste and its a nice place for me to sit and enjoy the drive. I don't tend to sell my classics though, so it will be for someone else to sort out when I'm gone, which hopefully wont be for a long time yet!

I found some 1/4" square nylon snap in nuts on the Bresco Vehicle Services Limited web site, so have ordered a packet and will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Martyn

Like Neil above suggests don't rule out eBay.

This eBay seller may get you out of a hole

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-034-UNF-CAGED-NUTS-/111360745635

Check out his other items for different sizes

Not the cheapest but they are imperial sizes.

Check the picture as the pack label gives a tel number

Worth a go if you are struggling.

H

We have been here so many times over the years, no-one does the correct 8/32UNF cages that are required in the correct miniature size to fit original holes in the door shells. You do need to improvise Im afraid.

Stuart.

Hi Folks,

it would be very easy to make your own cage nuts. The cage is just a simple locating device.

The first problem is getting 8/32 plain nuts - they are not as common as you may think.

However with an 8/32 UNF tap and a length of 5/16" square steel bar it would be easy enough to knock some up.

The cage doesn't have to be fancy just enough to hold the nut. 0.4mm ali would suffice and easy to work.

I'll try and do a little drawing later on.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Folks,

it would be very easy to make your own cage nuts. The cage is just a simple locating device.

The first problem is getting 8/32 plain nuts - they are not as common as you may think.

However with an 8/32 UNF tap and a length of 5/16" square steel bar it would be easy enough to knock some up.

The cage doesn't have to be fancy just enough to hold the nut. 0.4mm ali would suffice and easy to work.

I'll try and do a little drawing later on.

Roger

Its the correct spring steel for the cage that is the difficult bit, if its not then the lips of the cage wont spring back to hold it in place.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

they don;t have to be sprung into position. I was thinking that the retaining ears could simply be folded over the door skin.

They don;t suffer a great deal of stress when in use.

The cages nuts in post 18 above look too big and the quantity is 1000 pieces.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I keep mine captive in a purpose designed bag......................... at a perfect temperature....................

I'll get my coat (slightly surprised this thread has got so long before things went flippant) :P:ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...