post-8971-0-60399400-1485704259_thumb.jpgpost-8971-0-37670400-1485704567_thumb.jpgHas anyone experience of replacing the seat foams in TR4A seats. I bought some replacement foams from the TR Shop some while ago and have at last got round to doing the job. However the replacement foams do not have the same contours as the originals (well if the ones I've taken out are originals !), and I'm concerned that they may not take up the shape of the seat correctly as they have sharp corners rather than being rounded,. Plus the squab part comes in two pieces which would need glueing together and the back sections I'm told by the TR Shop are handed. The ones on the Moss site look similar while the ones on the Rimmer Bros. site look more like the old ones. Anyone used any of[ these and any tips for getting the job right please?

post-8971-0-60399400-1485704259_thumb.jpg

post-8971-0-37670400-1485704567_thumb.jpg

post-8971-0-65904400-1485704542_thumb.jpg

Here is a link to photos where I build up repro-foam.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/90670218@N04/3Z491E

I would suggest that the repro-foam is expensive and a better way would be to order cut-to-size foam from upholstery suppliers.

This would be less work and probably cheaper. But you would need some experience to know the sizes needed.

The old foams are only a guide and NOT a terribly good one because they will be well compressed.

The new foam needs to be considerably larger than the old. Some areas more so than others.

Nobody else done 4A seats?

They have an interesting and unusual construction. Traditional upholstery methods hardly apply.

The shape at the top is really a bit extreme and there is a lot of pressure in the foam.

The covers from John Skinner were a perfect fit but the foams were poor.

Nobody else done 4A seats?

Well, I successfully recovered my driver's seat with your cast-offs Al! Your pdf was also useful, I had to weld up and redrill some of the holes for the springs. One question I've been meaning to ask though; when you welded steel sheet around the lower front of your seats, didn't that interfere with the seat adjuster when the seats are folded forwards for access to the rear?

Thanks again BTW.

Pete