Pricing themselves out of the market? TR4

Can't really see how nice it may be without

more detailed photos of the engine bay, the

interior, trim and boot.

Makes you wonder who would post an ad

for a high priced car without those photos.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Hey with 165million active eBay users there is a good chance of finding someone. ?!?!

I sold my Black TR4 in 2013 for £24000.

a couple of years earlier I sold my TR3A,000

with the proceeds I bought my Red Tomato.

a couple of years earlier I sold my TR3A for £20,000

The buyer of my TR4 came to visit me and asked why I sold it, He was a nice bloke too. He thought he had bought a bargain motor car. Wich he had of course.

Sadly the pound is worth sod all and isn't likely to gain in value in the near future.

£30K is a lot and I agree with Alan the ad doesn't justify the price asked.

Cheap compared with the £49k item @ Sherwood Restorations!

i have always wondered why the tr4 seem to keep low in price... such a nice car to drive, underprized..

but the last years they go up. good for the current owners, bad for starting lovers.. i thought it was a nice triumph to start with if you are beyond spitfire league

Price seems about right to me. Owners should be happy the prices are finally going up like that deserve!!

The people who are mentioning the Sherwood restorations car, I assume you have viewed the car? Driven it? Seen the massive history file with it?

No? Didn't think so.

Tom

To answer Stuarts ? IMHO yes and killing it for true enthusiasts.

Yep, to true.

​So cars should be sold cheaply to enthusiasts, who will then resell at a market rate?

We should all sell our houses cheaply to help out new buyers????

Get real that's not the way the world, or any of us works.

Buy something cheaply and you don't respect it, pay a fair price and treasure it.

Alan

​So cars should be sold cheaply to enthusiasts, who will then resell at a market rate?

We should all sell our houses cheaply to help out new buyers????

Get real that's not the way the world, or any of us works.

Buy something cheaply and you don't respect it, pay a fair price and treasure it.

Alan

Nobody said anything about cheaply. In case you have missed it TR4`s have gone up by around 10K in the last 12 months for no other reason than if one person asks a lot of money then everyone does. I know this as I spent a lot of time looking for a nice one for somebody in the end he was priced out of the market. Also when you do look at the cars its usually only one in ten that is actually as described. If your going to ask top money then provide lots of pictures/Restoration information and above all do it right in the first place. As to good adverts then look on US Ebay they have probably 50 pictures of some cars form every conceivable angle so you can see exactly what your trying to buy. So what if the ad is expensive your asking a lot of money, crappy mobile phone pictures dont cut it get a decent camera or get someone who has one to take the pictures.

Spend time accurately describing it too.

Stuart.

Oh and another tip if your going to ask top money dont fit crappy plastic horns!

Totally agree Stuart - As another example there was a red TR4A on Ebay a week or so ago - looked decent enough, priced around £28k with decent external pictures. Suprisingly no pictures of under the bonnet - why? because it was all painted matt black after a colour change! Not a major problem you might think but this is common on a "colour change" car when the owner / vendor wants to cut corners on paintwork / restoration and detailing (i.e. it had a respray not a "restoration"). There is a "massive" difference between a car that has been professionally restored and one that hasn't. A massive difference between Joe Bloggs painting his own car in a dusty shed in cellulose....to a professional low baked restored car by a proper bodyshop.

Before it was advertised I was offered this red TR4A and asked for detailed pictures of under the bonnet - I valued the car at £16k - £18k retail (top money for this type of car imho) and the owner declined my fair trade offer as he wanted closer to £30k for the car as he'd seen others advertised around that money....!!

People take advantage of the market conditions and think "well if his car is worth £30k then mine must be"

That's why I potentially look at 10 cars and probably only buy 1.....

In the old days, if someone mis-described a car and deliberately over-priced it with potential buyers travelling half the length of the country, they would get a punch on the nose :P

" What is it about the words "fair price" that is so difficult to agree with? "

There's nothing difficult to agree with about the words 'fair price' . . . . . .

Unfortunately, too many TRs offered for sale over the past 2 or 3 years seem to have belonged to owners and/or vendors who had not and have not a clue as to what those two words mean.

There is a world of difference between a car properly and fully restored to 'as new' or 'near new' standard on the one hand, and the average TR offering north of £20K on the other.

Cloud cuckoo land, apparently oblivious to what might be purchased in terms of more modern sports cars for similar money, or for a great deal less.

Cheers

Alec

For years it has been a buyer's market. Nowadays it is a seller's.

It looks as if a lot of TR owners are not yet used to that concept. Overhere on the Continent it had been going on for some time now. And the British brands are the last ones to follow this trend.

I can see Marko's point. However (rhetorical)... if the seller would have agreed with 18K, what would have been your sale price? And, would that price not have been -a lot higher- than a few years back? Surely you have to make a profit. It's not charity.

I am sitting on my hands watching the value of my Porsche rise and rise. Nearly 100% higher than 2 yrs ago according to asking prices on the internet. And when I return to the ad, the car's sold.

What should I do? Advertise the car for the price I've paid + 5% ( the repair and running costs & inflation). Or should I advertise the car for the current market value. You tell me

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

Menno, I said the retail price for the car was a Max of £16k - £18k in my opinion, I would have paid a couple of thousand less however I didn't want it...as I don't want to be associated with over inflated prices and cars of a poor quality. For me it's actually not all about the money otherwise I would have stuck to my previous job in Multi-national Software Sales where I could have earned a shed load more! I chose this career as a lifestyle choice and enjoy pottering around purchasing "toys" I like...yes overhead's need to be covered but I love my job and have time to spend with my family and friends, that is a whole lot more important for me!

Oh and another tip if your going to ask top money dont fit crappy plastic horns!

Somehow I just new you'd have noticed them Stuart! :)

Menno, I said the retail price for the car was a Max of £16k - £18k in my opinion, I would have paid a couple of thousand less however I didn't want it...as I don't want to be associated with over inflated prices and cars of a poor quality. For me it's actually not all about the money otherwise I would have stuck to my previous job in Multi-national Software Sales where I could have earned a shed load more! I chose this career as a lifestyle choice and enjoy pottering around purchasing "toys" I like...yes overhead's need to be covered but I love my job and have time to spend with my family and friends, that is a whole lot more important for me!

I stand corrected. I overlooked 'retail' in your posting!

Here is another example of a scam, slightly different scenario I know but "BEWARE"

On the surface this advert looks pretty pucka....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152394632883?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

£4600 for a Mark 1 Granada, pretty good price and local to me - the car looks mint! So I text the number and emailed from Ebay.

The car is 20 miles from me, or so it seems! However the owner (lol) now lives in Northern Ireland and hasn't changed his location....

I thought I'd have a bit of Sport.....This is the first email from "Tracey" :ph34r:

Hello,
I still have the Ford Granada for sale, the condition is excellent and it has no damages or any faults. All necessary documents available. My current location is N.Ireland due to my work commitments. If this is going to be a quick sale, I will let it go for £4600 delivered at my costs.
The deal will go through eBay and PayPal.
Thank you

My Response:

It shows the car in Norwich?

I'm happy to send a deposit to secure the car

M

Her Response:

Recently moved and forgot to edit my location. Currently in N.Ireland, I am offering free delivery. I will agree for a 7 days of full inspection period ( after the date you receive the car ). This means that you have 7 days to inspect the car for any damages and decide if you want to keep it or not!
Because I will sign eBay's return policy, your money will be insured by them and you will have the option to reject the deal, only if we go through PayPal as well. If this is the case, you will receive a full refund (money back) from PayPal and I will have to take the car back on my cost!
You can read more about it following the link below:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/contextual/return-policy.html

Let me know if the above return policy is acceptable and if you want to purchase the car please confirm your PayPal email for further instructions.

Tracey

My Response:

That's no problem, EBay or PayPal doesn't cover vehicle purchases though. I would prefer to do a bank transfer not PayPal. If you send me your bank details I will send the money across.

Her Response:

The PayPal payment will be fully insured because I have signed/accepted the 7 day return policy and no payment will be released until you finish the inspection of vehicle. I can easily raise a transaction with eBay&PayPal and the official invoice will show you the return policy terms and conditions. Tracey

My Response:

OK I will pay via Paypal, send me the Paypal details and I will pay immediately....

:P:P :P