Broken temperature gauge cable

It was impossible to undo the nut next to the temperature sensor and in the end the cable had to be cut.

Now, I understand that the unit has to be sent out to hava new cable/sensor installed.

Can anyone recommend a good repairer?

Thank you

Just buy a new one, or look for 2nd hand, they are very expensive to repair. What you cut was not a cable, it was a thin pipe.

Bob.

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/gauge-water-temperature-tl2561-00-f-reconditioned-106965r.html

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-131060R

Give this chap a ring

Alan Davies 01732 863073

He rebuilt my temp gauge a few months ago and the charge was very reasonable.

Clive

I don't lnow whether this is the TV personaiity, but it does raise the question of whether the forum has a few such people. Makes me think of Pete Waterman and steam trains.

Not sure what shipping would be but I don't think it would be to bad. There is a place in CA USA that put the bulb back on my gauge for $75.00 with return shipping included. If I needed a new tube it would have been $20.00 more, works great. Three week turn around time. I'll get you contact info if interested.

• 2 months later...

I'm finally about to receive today the repaired gauge, and now I can't find (if it ever existed) the bracket to fix it to the dash.

What does it look like?

Thanks

Edited by qim

£7 for one of those Brackets,at least Dick Turpin wore a Mask.

Given that there are plenty of these knocking about second-hand or easily made at home, I don't think £7 including postage and packing is unreasonable if you consider the trader's point of view. This is an item which probably had to be ordered/manufactured in bulk and will doubtless be hanging around in stock representing capital tied up which could be better used elsewhere.

Another problem, maybe...

II received the gauge and tested in a saucepan with increasing water temperature. Minute bubbles started appearing at 185 (the cruising temp) suggesting that it is starting to boil too soon. By the time the water was truly boiling the gaugewas below the mark between the 185 and the top 220.

To my mind the gauge is not accurate. What do you think?

The gauge has markings as 185 and 230 with a non-numeric division in-between. With the water fully boiling the needle does not reach that mid division. Assuming that it is half of the difference between the numbers, i.e. 45, then the mark should read 205/210 and as it does not get there... With the water boiling it should go past it.