All a bit quiet on the Forum at the moment, everyone recovering from Christmas maybe?

What about seeing this in the rear view Mirror on the Motorway!

Apparently still around according to Roger Ferris?

post-13336-0-57216600-1483709893_thumb.jpg

With reference to the blue flashing light. The Road Traffic Act (Construction and Use) dictated that

the centre of the bulb had to be a minimum of five feet above road level but as Iain points out this

must have been a great help for top speed and fuel economy!

Tom.

Been watching a lot of old crime stuff over Christmas (Great Train Robbery etc). Looks like a villain handing the car over to plod as a return favour :D

Don't you mean....investment.

Got to be careful, there might be a Lawyer on here. :ph34r:

Dave

I reckon it would have looked good as a jam sandwich too ...

tr5_police2.jpg

Hi All,

New boy here.

Yes still going, what I call a "driving" car.

Just having a few bit of tidying done at the minute. Yes I can't get a correct TR5 grille yet.

Regards

Marvelous to see it, looks in good fettle too :)

Any of the Police stuff still fitted?

No police options still fitted, I have got the Heritage certificate, and mechanically all the Police has fitted was a "calibrated speedometer"

My daughters said I should restore it to the original Police car ! I'm sure I wouldn't get stopped !

Roger Ferris was invaluable getting me started with the history of the car, - Thanks again Roger

Regards

No police options still fitted, I have got the Heritage certificate, and mechanically all the Police has fitted was a "calibrated speedometer"

My daughters said I should restore it to the original Police car ! I'm sure I wouldn't get stopped !

Roger Ferris was invaluable getting me started with the history of the car, - Thanks again Roger

Regards

I've seen a couple of Triumph replica Police cars, in particular a lovely restored 1200 Police Panda Car in Blue & White colours.

I got talking to the owner, a Les Wrighton I think it was, he attended the TSSC International show several years ago dressed in Period police costume with his wife and he was saying it is illegal to travel with the Police signs showing and he covered them up whilst driving to and from car shows?

It would be great to see the TR5 patrolling the Malvern Show ground in period Police livery on the look out for Speeders!! :lol:

Edited by Gary Flinn

When a police vehicle was taken out of service to be sold off most of the equipment was removed. The equipment was then refurbished and refitted on a replacement vehicle. As equipment was up dated the old was removed and back in the 1960's/70's scrapped. Some in the 1950's/60's was sent out to the then colonies for reuse. In the 1990's the Home Office ceased ownership of the radio equipment, it was then transferred to the respective force or brigade and after that some of the later equipment, by then obsolete, did appear on the surplus market. This is one of the reasons it is difficult to find original 1950//60/70 equipment. Bolts in the roof were the give away that it had been a police vehicle back in the 1960's/70's.

Dave

. Bolts in the roof were the give away that it had been a police vehicle back in the 1960's/70's.

Dave

Another ''give-away'' used to be various zips in the headlining...... when vehicles were sold on, this allowed police roof equipment to be removed easily with minimal damage.

I doubt this applied to aforesaid TR5 here (!!)- but I know it was used on police Rovers in 1970/80's at least.

Another ''give-away'' used to be various zips in the headlining...... when vehicles were sold on, this allowed police roof equipment to be removed easily with minimal damage.

I doubt this applied to aforesaid TR5 here (!!)- but I know it was used on police Rovers in 1970/80's at least.

I agree zips were used in the saloons but not only for final removal also for servicing the equipment.

Though I can remember Sussex Traffic using a fleet of MGB-GT's in the late 1960's Sports cars were not favoured due to the weight and size of the equipment they had to carry. Large saloons were generally used for Traffic e.g. Austin Westminster, Rover P6, Triumph 2.5PI.

Dave

I had some E-Mail correspondence with Roger about the Car and he stated he'd talked to one of the Retired Police Officers who it was originally assigned too?

He stated he used to love the way it squatted down on its haunches when he booted it! ;)

No up-rated springs fitted then? :rolleyes:

Even wid that monstrous bigg sign on it,

there still be v little that would oot run it, in them days

Bet the Coppers in that gave it some real stik too,!!!

M

GT6M

I love the way you type the way you speak in that strong Cumbrian tongue like eh :P:D

Regards

Great to see it's still alive and well. I'd also like to see it restored as a Police car.

Cheers, Darren

The calibrated Speedo given on the Heritage certificate would have been a Factory item. In this case all the other equipment required for Police use was fitted by the local workshops i.e.Force and Home Office. This would not appear on the Heritage certificate.

Dave

Bit gutted nobody picked up my Photoshop & "colouring in" skills :lol:

Before :

tr5_police_before.jpg

After ...

tr5_police2.jpg