Another restoration

Having finally managed to work out how to formulate a blog on my own it is at the point where I can post it up here without being too embarrassed by it.

So here is the link to the work to date, it will progress quite quickly from here so I hope to have a continual stream of updates, if I have the discipline to keep them coming!

https://classictr6.wordpress.com/

As this is my first TR6 please do point out any obvious mistakes I may be making, I might not have the foresight to be asking the right questions ahead of the 'action'... and some of these steps are a one-way trip!

Thanks for looking.

Guy

Guys my two penneth for what it's worth, chassis's, and yes every chassis needs to be judged on its own merits, but when I started my rebuild I was advised to consider a new one as part of the rebuild. I took the plunge before my body was of the chassis. To my horror when I got the body off the chassis and cleaned all the crud off it it looked absolutely perfect. I had thoughts of a wasted £4K going through my mind coupled with thoughts of the fact that I was loosing a Large part of the original car. It was only when I went to cut the old chassis up for scrap that I realised it had the structural integrity of tin foil where the metal had thinned with corrosion over 40 or so years and then it was discovered that when the body was 'mated' ŵith the new chassis that the body had bent link a banana do to lack of regidity.

So somthing IMHO worth considering

Good luck with your rebuilds

ATB Graham

I did a chassis change a few years ago.. and again when I got the old chassis out I was appalled to see the state of it..

See the start of my blog

http://72tr6.blogspot.co.uk/

Cheers

Tim

Hi Guy,

forget the car - I'm impressed with the garage.

Roger

+1 serious garage envy !

Thanks for the comments everyone, big jobs like this one rely often on the encouragement of others and the spirit of the 'team'. The forum provides this, thank you. I am trying my best not to use the chaps at work too much, they have a far more important job to do!

I will wait with trepidation when getting the chassis back from the blasters, some parts I already know I will have to cut away and replace, I will also check the thickness of good metal in other areas as it is pointless going to a full restoration with a chassis that is unsound. I am keeping my fingers crossed though!

The new panels are ready and waiting to be delivered immediately after we get back to work, very exciting times. The shell goes for blasting with crushed glass on the 13th Jan and will then have a coat of black weld-through primer applied. Luckily I think it fits inside our van as it is on it's octagonal frame, if it does it will be a stroke of luck rather than judgement.

I will keep you all up to date as there are things posted to the blog, I hope I do not become too annoying!

Thanks again for your support! Guy

Nice car/garage/blog Guy!

Im particularly interested in your efi approach, and guess you'll go with a mapped ignition system also?

I'm a fan of the old lucas mechanical fuel injection, but am considering converting the ignition to a mapped and distriturless setup this year, so will be interested to see what you do.

My preferred option presently is the Nodiz sustem, but its not available for 6 cylinder engines just yet, i dont know much about Omex.

Steve

I personally believe that the TR6 should be injected if possible / practical, and although I have only ever worked on race-cars' injection systems (much simpler) from my first BDH with mechanical injection through to later cars with MoTec or similar, I am going to attempt to design an EFI system that looks like it belongs with the original engine but provides the very tangible benefits of a fully mapped system combining TPS and MAP inputs. Complications to the simplicity of the design over a race-car setup are brake servos and the requirement to actively scavenge the crankcase gasses etc. but I will try to not let these systems detract from what I see as the engineering beauty of the TR6s injection system. I think this is often overlooked in the argument between carbs / injection - doesn't the injection system just look fabulous? I think so, and I will definitely require my own car to be injected.

I cannot guarantee I will get past simply adding and EFI system to the later TR6 throttle bodies I already have, but I like the challenge so I hope I will be able to solve it. I will keep you all updated on my progress, the new TBs have already been designed but I want to make sure I am not overlooking something fundamental before I go into further detail.

I will be keeping the car LHD as I plan to drive it a fair amount in Europe and also in the US, and I enjoy driving LHD cars.

Thanks everyone! Guy

Guy,

While you have easy access I'd suggest adding stiffening fillets to the chassis to ensure the diff mounting pins dont pull out. Its a frequent failure point, you might find hairline cracks around the top pin weld already.

That low compression head combined with the electronic fuelling and ignition expertise made for an amazing TR6 in USA:

http://www.pattonmachine.com/tr6/schrgr2.htm

http://www.6-pack.org/j15/index.php/articles/37/334

Peter

Peter