I have been to Jabbeke for the revival run a few years ago. So I have an interest in the rebuild of the original car. I have read the reports in TR action.

The official opening presentation of the completed car will be in at the RAC, Central London in the spring of 2017.

I imagined a furious burst of activity in the final week with people working overnight.

So when I went to buy some parts at Moss yesterday, I was very surprised to find the finished car on display in the main part of the showroom.

I am sure that it is in better condition now. than when new. There are s/s bolts securing the wings.

A visit to Hanworth was definitely the high spot of my day..

Well done to the restorers.

Richard & H. :)

Hi Richard,

Yes, Glen and Chris of Protek Engineering have done an incredible job of restoring the car, and all the more remarkable because it's only taken about 12 months to complete. I was honoured to be able to follow the restoration for TR Action, and I thank Glen for giving up his time to show me the progress on the car every few weeks.

Following on from the official unveiling of the car at the RAC on 6 March next year, we'll be seeing it at several TR events throughout the year and at Jabbeke at some point.

Cheers, Darren

Edited by TR5tar

It was on the TR Register stand, centre stage at the NEC this year, and if you check out the TR Register website you will find Wayne Scott talking to Stirling Moss with MVC575 in the background

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/article/2016/12/0088/Triumphant-TR-Register-welcome-for-Sir-Stirling-at-NEC

I have been looking at the picture of Stirling Moss which was on the screen for a while. He looks much better than Jay leno.

. I looked at it twice a day without seeing the background cars.

As you can tell I did not make it to the NEC.

It really is a first class restoration job and I have not yet seen the engine bay.

At the official opening will there be dedicated TR2/3 parking. It could be a great day out.

Richard & H.

Glen has done a stupendous job given the state of the car.I saw the new seats at Protek last week. This is a truly important car very well restored with dedication attention to detail and yes love.John Ames also deserves credit for entrusting it to such a deserving owner and restorer.

Tom

The Jabekke car is great, and its sympathetic resurrection is surely good for the marque. But is it just me or is the combination of dark blue and the ice blue a bit hard on the eyes? I have always liked ice blue but the dark blue does it no favors. This from a guy with a car that was originally olive yellow, so the old pot and kettle comes to mind. The latest TR Action suggests Lady Black may have had something to do with the dark blue, but I always thought it was harsh enough blaming geranium and olive yellow on her!

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

I agree that in the photos the contrast between Ice Blue and the dark blue of the engine bay looks rather stark, but in the flesh the difference isn't quite so striking to my eye. I can certainly understand why Glen wanted to get it as near as possible to how it looked on the day of the speed trial and I think he has achieved that.

With regard to the Lady Black speculation, what I was suggesting is that she might not have favoured the dark blue (thinking it wouldn't show up well on camera) and so recommended the change to Ice Blue. If that's the case, then this was probably the first time she had a hand in the colour choice. All conjecture of course, but it's a nice story.

Cheers, Darren

Edited by TR5tar

From Glen's past comments, I'd reckon he is more concerned with recreating, as near as he can manage, the original appearance of the car than with the appropriateness or otherwise of the original colour scheme . . . . . .

Dan and I have in the past discussed the matter of Standard Triumph colours at some length . . . . . . . it's thanks to Dan's interest and prompting that I undertook a little research around the subject.

As far as I'm concerned, Sir John was a seriously underrated businessman, and I don't think we have quite appreciated some of his wider abilities, talents, and innovations as MD and Chairman of Standard.

That he was influenced by his first wife, Daisy Hillman (daughter of William Hillman, as in Hillman cars) in matters of colour, style and taste is I'd suggest more than likely, and I'd suggest that the same applies to his second wife, Lady Black.

It is interesting to review some of his apparent influence on Hillman, and latterly Humber and Commer, before he moved across to the Standard . . . . . and to then review the development of Standard car production and of the various factories and offices. The pre-war innovations continued post-war in the Standard-Triumph context.

A clue, for those who are interested, lies in the development of the early 'British Standard' (BS) colour ranges post-WW2 and the preceding ranges established during the 1930s . . . . .

Meanwhile, a couple of links for the benefit of those unfamiliar with Sir John . . . . .

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~nicouls/SirJohnBlack.htm

and

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:LHlDnZflyE4J:https://curve.coventry.ac.uk/open/file/a07e9df3-3e4f-ec24-2576-391011dc9ea9/1/CT004.doc+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Cheers

Alec

Thanks Alec! I have always been keenly interested in finding the most accurate historical basis for the Lady Black connection. In researching the Doretti, I think I have found one of the more definitive sources, which is a direct quote from Dorothy Deen in an article by Karla A. Rosenbusch in Automobile Quarterly (Vol. 34 No. 2), where Dorothy says she met with Sir John about the color range and he told her his wife was the one who made the choice. In her words:

"I inquired about the choice of colors and Sir John Black said that his wife did the colors. She had an interior decorator who had just done her house, and those colors were recommended by the decorator. They weren't exactly what I would have picked out for a car - especially a sports car."

Perhaps someone on the forum (Bill Piggott??) can add some other historical references?

Cheers

Dan

Edited by 2long

The Jabekke car is great, and its sympathetic resurrection is surely good for the marque. But is it just me or is the combination of dark blue and the ice blue a bit hard on the eyes? I have always liked ice blue but the dark blue does it no favors. This from a guy with a car that was originally olive yellow, so the old pot and kettle comes to mind. The latest TR Action suggests Lady Black may have had something to do with the dark blue, but I always thought it was harsh enough blaming geranium and olive yellow on her!

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

At first after hearing the plan of Glen to paint it blue, i thought it was the wrong interpretation of grinding dust or some signs found on the remains of the car. But i studied images and a color movie from the Jabbeke event, taking stills and using some digital tooling to figure out the color, i could only conclude it should be blue !

Hi Dan,

At first after hearing the plan of Glen to paint it blue, i thought it was the wrong interpretation of grinding dust or some signs found on the remains of the car. But i studied images and a color movie from the Jabbeke event, taking stills and using some digital tooling to figure out the color, i could only conclude it should be blue !

How far are you from Jabbeke Edwin ?. If they do a photo shoot next summer would you be able to go ?.

How far are you from Jabbeke Edwin ?. If they do a photo shoot next summer would you be able to go ?.

Oh, this could become interesting! Provided Edwin has a plan to go, he will have to -more or less- drive by my house towards Jabbeke! What's the date of the shoot?

Menno

Hi Edwin,

How about West Oxfordshire on route? You have a boot rack made for two don't you? :D

As far as I know, Glen hasn't set a date to take the car to Jabbeke. If I hear that he has, I'll spread the word.

Darren

Just heard that the provisional plan is to have the car in Jabbeke to celebrate the anniversary of the speed trial on Saturday 20th May. I don't think it's set in stone yet, but it's certainly a good date to aim for. If I hear more, I'll let people know.

Cheers, Darren

is this a silent hint i have neglected you too long to pay you a visit, menno :wub::ph34r:

Ha, you're always welcome! With or without the TR! (Must add for the readers here that Edwin and my wife were collegues about 10 yrs ago. The world is small.)

Kidding aside: perhaps we can create small convoy!

Ha, you're always welcome! With or without the TR! (Must add for the readers here that Edwin and my wife were collegues about 10 yrs ago. The world is small.)

Kidding aside: perhaps we can create small convoy!

I think having some supporting cars on the day would be a great opportunity.

Sorry, but you will have to rearrange Jabbeke May 20th until another date. That coincides with TRchaeology, May 19th/20th/21st. :)

Dave

Sorry, but you will have to rearrange Jabbeke May 20th until another date. That coincides with TRchaeology, May 19th/20th/21st. :)

Dave

+1 to that.

An unfortunate coincidence of timing . . . . . bummer, said Dougal.

TRchaeology date is now set in stone . . . . . :rolleyes: . . . . . we couldn't manage to conveniently tie-in the various elements this year, 2016, and it's taken Julian a great deal of effort to achieve it for 2017.

I can't see a likelihood of our being able to repeat this weekend package in the foreseeable future, and much as I'd like to see the Jabbeke car in Belgium it's not as attractive a prospect as the Dorset and Wiltshire weekend !

Cheers

Alec