Correct Stuart,

the rear window is way oversize, and the hoodsticks (to my eyes) are too high by a generous inch, maybe nearer two . . . . . I do wonder if Geoff didn't consider a roll over bar and made appropriate allowance . . . . . ?

Jolly fine car though, assuming that modest performance upgrades are preferred to originality, and as such about as good as a Doretti realistically gets.

Cheers

Alec

For a car with a run of less than 300, there have been an astounding number of recent sales, most of them through Bonhams. In June 2016 Bonhams sold 1007 for 75k US, in October 2016 Bonhams sold 1246 for 74k US, in November 2016 1127 sold privately for 115k pounds, a recent Bonhams auction of 1171 did not attract a bid at minimum of 40k US, and now this Bonhams one as well. I also suspect there were at lest one or two private sales recently (like mine!), so the Doretti sure seems to have had a bit of a churn lately. I am quite taken with mine, but dang I sure wish I could get it roadworthy this century!

Cheers

Dan

This one got in recently somehow - but maybe money talks? The excerpt below is from a sales ad.

Cheers

Dan

"We have for sale out of our private collection a very rare 1954 Doretti #1127 built by the Swallow Coachbuilding Company (1935) Ltd. This Doretti just completed and finished the 2016 Mille Miglia without any issues."

Well spotted Dan,

and here's the proof - http://www.officialphotographersrls.com/Ecommerce.php?Id=36

Select Numero Gara 309 on the left hand menu . . . . .

Old story I suppose, not what you know but who you know . . . . . . Italy is like France, they make up the rules as they go along . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

You could be right there Tom, but as you well know a Doretti is much more than a 'special bodied' TR2 . . . . . . better chassis of different dimension and configuration, completely different body, trim and interior, modified TR2 suspension and steering, it's really only the TR engine, transmission and brakes that are more or less identical.

But hey, itsa Italy, we maka da rules as we go alonga . . . . . . :rolleyes:

Aided by Wonga ? B)

Cheers

Alec

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of a rebore on a wet liner engine who writes the adverts do you think they took them out or bored them in place?

Phil..

Hi Phil,

Don't be too hard on the advert writer, when I've organised a rebore using a non standard piston size and a standard used set of liners I've always marked the liners 1.2.3.4. from the front and also the orientation regarding their position clockwise in the block and then removed them and had them bored in a lathe.

You used to be able to use a portable boring machine and a trained operative and fixing it to the block bore each liner individually but the setting up is far more time consuming and rather more costly, of course if you buy a freely available size set of pistons and liners 86/87/88 and 89 with + size variations sometimes available in between it's reasonably easy to refit them into the block yourself adjusting the liner heights on new copper Figure of 8 gaskets as you go.

Mick Richards