tr4a speedometer

Hi Guys,

Since I bought my TR4A in June the speedometer has been functioning erraticaly and reading the incorrect speed, as I am going to be doing some work on my car over the winter months I thought this would be an ideal time to remove the speedometer and send it away for repair. Can anyone recommend a company who would be able to repair/calibrate my speedometer.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

welcome to the forum.

It may not be the speedo.

The cable (inner/outer) may be going dicky. Remove the whole cable and check the inner for rust/damage

It could also be the angle on the far end of the cable.

If cable and angle drive look OK the JDO can sort the gauge.

Roger

John,

You wrote "functioning erratically" do you mean jumping, unsteady needle? If so you may well have an issue with the drive or frayed cable. Recalibrating will usually only take a fully functioning speedo that reads incorrectly and adjust it so that the speed displayed is nearer to the actual speed the vehicle is travelling.

But http://www.jdo1.co.uk/speedos.htmlJohn Ostick does a good job.

Alan

Roger,

Snap, emails that pass in the night!

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

Thanks for reply guys, the speedo takes a while to register the correct speed and likewise when you slow down to go into a town speed limit ie. I am driving at 30mph via the rev counter reading but the speedo is still recording 50mph taking a while to record the correct speed. The needle moves smoothly Alan and does not jump about. So yes I will need to check out the drive cable etc. roger, never thought about this.

cheers

john

Many good troubleshooting tips in this original booklet from Smiths, The Care of Instruments, on the website of this Canadian seller of speedometer cables..

http://vintagebritishcables.com/The-Care-of-SMITHS-Instruments.php

Sounds like you have got some grease into the unit, or the original lub on the needle's spindle beatings has dried out, & gone too thick & sticky.

A strip down, clean, & re-lub should sort it.

Bob.

• 1 month later...

Great helpful post! I have an issue with the speedometer wavering by about +/-10km/h, the right speed being about in the middle of the waverings.

To check the cable, how do i proceed? Remove front panel? Procedures, photo's?

Thanks a lot!

Erik

Hi Erik,

if you carefully put your hand up behind the speedo you will find the drive cable going into its back.

Undo this cable and lower the end below the dash so that you can see it.

You should be able to pull the cable out.

Check the cable for any rusty areas. This will indicate whether the outer cable it worn through allowing water in.

Is the square end at the gearbox still intact. This can break off and simply run on the frazzled ends.

If the cable is OK then you can lubricate it and replace. Many people like to use a dry lubricant - graphite/Teflon etc

or you could use a wet lubricant and wipe off any excess.

Refitting is fun.

Roger

Hi John

In addition to the above, you might find the cable drive spigot is seizing in the speedo housing, as it did with my own. I broke a couple of cables and suspected a faulty angle drive before diagnosing the fault. Short term some WD40 may help to free it off, but you might need the speedo unit serviced and checked.

I used JDO Instruments. It will probably not need recalibration but just a strip and service.

Regards

Kevin

Hi Erik,

if you carefully put your hand up behind the speedo you will find the drive cable going into its back.

Undo this cable and lower the end below the dash so that you can see it.

You should be able to pull the cable out.

Check the cable for any rusty areas. This will indicate whether the outer cable it worn through allowing water in.

Is the square end at the gearbox still intact. This can break off and simply run on the frazzled ends.

If the cable is OK then you can lubricate it and replace. Many people like to use a dry lubricant - graphite/Teflon etc

or you could use a wet lubricant and wipe off any excess.

Refitting is fun.

Roger

Great reply, thanks a lot Roger!!

I read your reply too late to handle it this afternoon, and we will be back here only by end of February (car sits in South of France, our holiday hide-out) : I will surely keep you posted.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Got the car back on the road yesterday after several months on axle stands getting it ready for the coming season, just to clear up my initial question I posted about my speedometer problems.

I sent the speedometer to John Osticks for a repair/service, I am happy to report that the speedometer is now functioning as it should .

Thanks for all the input from the various club members who posted solutions to my problem.

Cheers

John