Time I changed the old Firestones on my TR4A. I'd been thinking of the Vredestein T-Trac, but they have no stock and can't tell me when they will.

Any suggestions from the forum members? The car is not used on track (in fact not used much at all!). Not looking to buy the cheapest, but I'd rather not spend more than I have to.

Anyone used the Blackcircles own brand?

Pete

Hi Pete,

I really liked my Firestone F560 but they have been gone for 5/6 years now.

I tried Continental but didn't like them at all. Very squeally on the road.

The Vredstein Sprint Classic on my 4A are very nice but a little dearer at £86 from Camskill.

Roger

Firestone F560 tires appear to be available over here, Roger (although I have no experience with them -- I run Vredestein Sprint Classics)

https://www.cokertire.com/firestone-f560.html

One of the better deals on tires in the US vintage community are the Chinese Nankangs available always on eBay US. Less than £200 for four, delivered, radial 165/80-15. People who have run these seem to like 'em. They like the price, fershure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Nankang-CX668-165-80R15-87T-SL-All-Season-Performance-Tires-165-80-15-NEW-/172369907412?hash=item28220c0ed4:g:LAgAAOSwPCVX-zU8&vxp=mtr

Hello, I have Vredstein Classics on my wire wheels and Vredstein T Trac on my knock on alloys, the T Trac appear to me, and I don't drive on the limit as I don't know where the limit is, to be the better of the two, better grip, cheers, Andrew

Thanks chaps.

Alec, nobody seems to have the T-Trac or T-Trac 2 in stock in a 165/15. It was Vredestein themselves who didn't know when they would be available, and I guess they know who they've supplied them to.

Roger, were your disappointing Continentals the CT2?

The Blackcircles own brand have better wet grip and economy ratings than the Contis, but I'm wary of cheap tyres after having a Volvo V50 on Chinese tyres, that was fine in the dry but the merest breath of moisture and it just wouldn't steer. Can't remember the make, but the local Kwik-Fit told me that if I'd asked them to fit those tyres they'd have refused!

Pete

Pete,

If you are planning to store the car over winter ? (I don't know, you may do) then the tyres will become available before your car is recommissioned for next year.

Mick Richards

Checkout Hankooks Optimo 165/80/15 at mytyres currently £50.80 each. I've been using them for over 30000 miles, good tyre.

Chris

I had Nankangs on my TR7 for a while. Dry grip was fine, acceptable in the wet though probably not as good as a top brand at double the price. I can't comment on how well they wear as I sold the car.

Nigel

+1 classic sprint vredestien s

Great on my old sp250

And top of my list when my 3a needs new boots

Best tyre you can fit?

Michelin XAS.

Give longstone tyres a ring, you will not be disappointed with the way the tyre transforms your car

Tom

Black Circles still have Continental CT22 . . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Hence my question to Roger! I've always liked Contis, but the ratings on those aren't very good. Only E rated for wet grip.

Chris, I had Hankooks on a company car once. I wouldn't want them again. They were noisy, and tended to wander about on 'difficult' road surfaces.

Pete

Yes, everybody tells me the T-Tracs are great, but they aren't available in 165/15! I spent the afternoon on the internet and phone, and I found ... one!

Mick has a good point, I won't be using the car much over the winter, and since they're classified as "summer tyres" I expect Vredestein will make some more in the spring. I just wanted to get wheels and tyres dealt with before my contract finishes at the end of the year and I become a poor pensioner again.

Pete

Best tyre you can fit?

Michelin XAS.

Give longstone tyres a ring, you will not be disappointed with the way the tyre transforms your car

Tom

You look at any classic car programes when they need tyres and go to longstones it's the Mitch XAS

are they sole suppliers ??

But very dear.

But you pays your price and takes your choice

H

Best tyre you can fit?

Michelin XAS.

Tom

"I've heard they're popular with boy racers as they squeal/smoke easily..."

I recall Tom fitted Nankang on Olde Smokey/Squealy !