Door lock mechanism - passenger side

Hi All,

Having run the TR for a year or so I thought I would get around to the snagging list of annoying jobs that need to be done, one of which is my Passenger door lock assembly. I am not sure that it is working properly, but unsure what is correct. I'll explain.-- when the passenger door shuts, it cannot be opened from the outside. If I reach in and pull the internal handle back, it opens fine. Again, when the door is shut, but the internal handle is or has been pushed forward, then I can open the door from the outside. I can see that the link assembly (650251) is moving up then allowing the lock plunger to push the lever arm on the "rotary lock 750169" (Moss description) . But once that happens, the link assembly pulls the lock lever arm down and there it stays until the internal handle is pushed forward again. I am not sure this is correct as it behaves differently on the drivers side.

Am I missing something? I have the lock assembly on the bench and nothing seems awry, that I can see, comparing it to various drawings.

There is a small spring on the rotary lock which doesn't seem to do much, but it's probably important.

So my question is, is the lock behaving correctly or not?

Many thanks

Andy C

Hi Andy,

it sounds like the internals of the lock barrel etc are dicky.

The spring on the rotary lock (it has a double end pick up on it) should bring the key back to the horizontal. The ends of the spring pick up in groves in the barrel.

It is probably this spring that is causing the problem - if the barrel does not go back correctly then the lock can't do its job.

Have you taken it all to pieces :o You may well find that the shoulders of the plunger are rounded (not good).

Firstly take it all apart and find what is worn. The plunger is not available as a spare but I can make them if you need one.

Get the spring working before you go any further.

New barrels are available from the 'The Lock Man' at the right price.

If you get stck send me the handle and I'll sort it for you.

Roger

Thanks Roger,

The lock itself seems to be OK, when I lift the side lever up, the plunger extends and pushes on the mech lever, and when the side lever is down, the plunger is disabled. The problem is as I see it that the link assembly which pulls the lock side lever down, is defaulting to the down position, so that it is in effect locking the door, i.e. handle button being pressed does nothing,

Hope the picture attached makes more sense than my ramblings.

When pressing the button on my drivers door lock did not open the door it was because the threaded adjusting rod which activates the lever when the button is pressed had come loose.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

I have the same situation with the passenger door handle on my TR4 and it turns out that a right door handle has been fitted to the passenger door which effectively means the door handle is upside down. By removing the link assembly I could open the passenger door from the outside.

Hope this sheds some light.

Regards

Andy

I deliberately swapped my door handles so as to present the better side up on both sides. The lock mech works fine it's just that the key operates in the opposite direction from normal on both sides.

I did exactly same thing peejay on mine last week.but when swopped over they would not open from outside only by using the inner lever.shame really cause the chrome was so much better that way.it does sound like you have wrong sided handle fitted though Andy.

Nige

Edited by nigethomas

Hi Nige,

I'm sure the handles will fit either side.

You need to transfer the internal gubbins from one to the other - the gubbins is handed.

Roger

PS - if you look at the casting on the base of the handle it will have NS or OS - this is the handed info.

Edited by RogerH